1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best swan song - actors and actress

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. Tremendous movie.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

No insurance company would touch Spencer Tracy for "Guess Who's" because of his precarious health. Hepburn put her salary up against the cost to make the film without that insurance in place, because she knew it would be their last time together. And he rose to the occasion.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Could also throw in Clark Gable for "The Misfits." He insisted on doing all of his own stunts and, like Tracy, suffered a fatal heart attack only days after filming wrapped.

Not sure it's such a fitting swan song for Marilyn Monroe, although she did turn in a good performance.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And I'll throw in Steve McQueen for "The Hunter," - not his best, but a good movie.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

For that matter, isn't "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" Ledger's last movie, now in post-production?

But the point remains about "The Dark Knight."

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

For more on Spencer's last stand, read Mark Harris' "Pictures at a Revolution," a great, great book about the five 1967 Best Picture nominees.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Good recommendation, terrier. He covers that ground very well.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

John Candy in Canadian Bacon

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Shoot me, now.

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Bela Lugosi in "Plan Nine from Outer Space"

Draft saved Draft deleted