1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best swan song - actors and actress

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 10, 2009.

1. OK,
    Who's delivered the best swan song - their final acting job - among moive actors and actresses?
    Obviously Heath Ledger did a hell of a job w/ Dark Knight.
    John Cazale wil be mentioned as well, finishing up his career - and life - with the Deer Hunter - though not a movie I am particularly fond of.
    John Wayne in the Shootist?
    Others?
    Thoughts?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Peter Sellers in "Being There."

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wasn't Network the last movie for Peter Finch?

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Spencer Tracy in "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner"

Peter Finch in "Network"

Henry Fonda in "On Golden Pond"

All of them blow Heath Ledger out of the water.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Paul Newman's final role in a live-action feature film was in "Road to Perdition" (although he did quite a few cable miniseries and voice roles after that).

Not the crowning role of his career, but quite good.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Fonda was the first one I thought of. Won the Oscar, though that was mostly a career achievement award.

John Holmes, "The Devil in Mr. Holmes"

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

True, but I would say Fonda did still turn in the best acting performance of the year in question.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

James Dean as Jett in Giant, East of Eden also came out after Dean died. He was nominated for an Oscar for Giant.

And Vic Morrow was outstanding in Twilight Zone.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pedro Armendariz in From Russia With Love (Karim Bey)

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping someone can get a good script to Gene Hackman so Welcome to Mooseport isn't the last thing on his resume. Same goes for Connery's last flick "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" and James Earl Jones.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

WFW.

Now get this, honkie - you go tell Raphael that I ain't takin' no jive from no Western Union messenger! You tell that asshole, if he got somethin' to tell me to get his ass down here himself! You got that boy?

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Beat me to that one.

Edward G. Robinson in Soylent Green? He knew he was dying when they filmed his "going home" scene in that movie. Not a good movie, but a poignant scene under the circumstances.

Also ... Soylent Green are people! They're people!

Draft saved Draft deleted