1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Superbowl Commercials

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I LOVED the Betty White/Abe Vigoda ad and had I not been in a morphine haze at that point, would have immediately dashed to my computer to see SportsJournalists.com Nation's reaction.

Along with the E-TRADE baby, by far the best of a totally forgettable crop of commercials, although I thought some of the Coke ads, the Google love ad, the Letterman-Leno-Oprah spot, the Nantz-narrated ad for the guy missing his spine and the Favre 2020 ad were decent. The Bud Light ones were awful. Time for an agency review, Inbev.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

After reading a few of the stories about the ads in general and how the ads seem to represent the national zeitgeist, I was a bit surprised that few if any ads appeared to refer to anything that happened in the last year, one of the reasons I liked the Letterman ad so much (would have even been better if they could have squeezed in Conan, Kimmell and Ferguson - perhaps in a "treaty signing.")
    No Sully, no balloon boy, octomom, gate crashers, Tea Bag party, etc., etc.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It's all Eric Clapton's fault. He started it. And Michelob still sucks, too!

4. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

It's Super Bowl.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I posted some of my commercial comments on the Super Bowl thread yesterday morning because I didn't see this thread at the time.

However the Betty White/Abe Vigoda Snickers ad was the best ad of the day. The McDonald's one with Larry Bird was great only because of the line at the end, but that was enough to make it one of my favorites from a day of bad ads.

ALL of the Bud Light ads were awful. The human bridge Bud ad was bad and the Clydesdale Bud ad was bad when it's usually good.
    The dog collar Doritos ad and the "play nice" Doritos ad were good, but the rest of them were awful.

The Brett Favre Hyundai ad was up there among the top ads as was the Simpsons Coke ad.

But the rest of the ads were awful. It looked like Motorola went to the GoDaddy playbook with that Megan Fox ad.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This year's themes: Women are domineering bitches. Men are loutish morons. Surprisingly, neither the men nor women with whom I watched the game found these approaches appealing.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

By the way, after seeing the Snickers ad, Mrs. Birdscribe uttered the money line -- echoed by SportsJournalists.com Nation and legions of thirty and fortysomethings:

"I didn't know Abe Vigoda was still alive."

Morphine or not, I couldn't stop laughing. I told her she had plenty of company.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I thought this year's theme was pantlessness.

Draft saved Draft deleted