1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Super Bowl runner-up

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Feb 4, 2007.

?

Of these, which Super Bowl loser is best?

1. 1972 Redskins

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. 1974 Vikings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1978 Cowboys

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. 1981 Bengals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 1990-94 Bills

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  6. 2001 Rams

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  7. 2004 Eagles

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Write-in (but be prepared to back it up)

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Ditto. Arguably the greatest collection of talent ever on the field for a Super Bowl game.

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

90 Bills, not to mention the 91 Bills.

The 91 Bills died in a huge momentum shift, aided by some tough calls (including a 15-yard unsporsmanlike for Andre Reed for taking off his helmet while talking to the ref). The 92 version wasn't that good, and the 93 Bills were running on fumes.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Fucking desk geeks missed it. Probably too busy arguing about Battlestar Galactica, Flash Gordon and posting "hot" guy pics.

4. You have to go with the Boys in '78 then the Bills of '90, but the Skins of '83 were unbelieveable. Four points away from going undefeated all season (one point losses to the Boys and Packers). They played one bad game: the Super Bowl. Marcus Allen made them their bitch. I think Anthony Washington is still chasing him.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Probably should split up the Bills teams. You're getting votes for '90 and '91 there.

The '78 Cowboys get my vote, just ahead of the '90 Bills. Only problem I have with the '90 Bills is they lost to a very average team. The Giants still had a hell of a defense, but they were missing Phil Simms and O.J. Anderson, then well past his prime, was their main ballcarrier.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, it sure as hell isn't the 2006 Chicago Bears.

7. WSKY

WSKY Member

or the 2005 Seahawks

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

What, no love for the '85 Patriots?

I don't get the love for the Bills. Was a hell of an accomplishment getting there. But their best team ('90) got beaten by a less-than-great Giants team. Then the Bills proceeded to get their ever-loving asses kicked again and again and again.

I'd put the '78 Cowboys and the '83 Redskins head and shoulders above them. People -- me included -- tend to forget what a machine the Redskins were that season. Right up to the Big One.

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

1968 Baltimore Colts.

The 2001 Rams are very close. Both teams were very dominating in the regular season and in the Rams case they doubled up the Patriots on yards in the Super Bowl. Problem with the '83 Skins is that they got beat so bad in the Super Bowl. The Colts were undone by horrific Earl Morrall mistakes and the Rams were...well I still can't explain that one.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That's about right.

11. Bo Jackson left, Bo Jackson right

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

The Bills just tore my heart out. For four years.

Draft saved Draft deleted