1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Super Bowl runner-up

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Feb 4, 2007.

?

Of these, which Super Bowl loser is best?

1. 1972 Redskins

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. 1974 Vikings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1978 Cowboys

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. 1981 Bengals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 1990-94 Bills

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  6. 2001 Rams

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  7. 2004 Eagles

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Write-in (but be prepared to back it up)

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The 72 Redskins posted an NFC-best 11-3 regular season record but ran headlong into the perfect Dolphins.

The 74 Vikings had the Purple People Eaters defense, which held opponents to a total of 24 points in the NFC playoffs, and Fran Tarkenton (2598 yards, 17 TDs).

The 78 Cowboys had the league's top-rated QB in Staubach (3190 yards, 25 TDs), Tony Dorsett and the Doomsday Defense.

The 1981 Bengals had the best record in the AFC (12-4), the league's top-rated QB in Ken Anderson, Chris Collinsworth catching for 1009 yards as a rookie, a defense that didn't give up more than 30 points in the regular or postseason and outgained the 49ers 356 yards to 275 (the 5 turnovers were killers).

The Bills ... well, you remember them. Thurman Thomas, Machine Gun Kelly, James Lofton, Andre Reed, the K-Gun offense, Cornelius Bennett, Daryl Talley and Shane Conlan, among others.

The 2001 Rams ... 14-2 record, vastly improved defense over their teams of the past two years (one of which won a Super Bowl), Marshall Faulk (Offensive Player of the Year for the third straight season) ... but ran into Tom Brady.

The 2004 Eagles finally made the big game after losing three straight conference championships. McNabb had 3,875 passing yards and 31 TDs, Tee Oh came in from Frisco at receiver (and they hated each other), three standouts in the defensive front seven (Jeremiah Trotter, Corey Smion, Jevon Kearse), and three of four defensive backs who went to that year's Pro Bowl (Lito Sheppard, Brian Dawkins, Michael Lewis).

So pick one.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What, no '84 Dolphins? (Hi Columbo)

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You mean the team that only rushed for 25 yards against the 49ers while showing off a defense that gave up 537 yards? Nah ... they didn't make the cut. Best part of that game was Teri Hatcher in her days as a 49ers cheerleader.

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

The 1997 Packers. Gabe Wilkins and Antonio Freeman (dropped pass inside the 20 on final drive) can bite me :)

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I went with the Bills. So dominant, but kept running into that Cowboys team that is one of the best teams of all-time. (yes, I know they played other teams in the Super Bowl)

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Gotta go with the 1990 Bills. I think the Bills were underdogs the next three years, but that '90 offense was brilliant. It's easy to forget they throttled the Raiders 51-3 a week earlier in the AFC title game. That Super Bowl was supposed to be a 60-minute coronation.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1978 Cowboys. Defending champ, Hall of Famers on offense and defense.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Had Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas (but Kelly moreso) not sucked so bad, James Lofton would have been MVP and the Bills would have beaten the Redskins after the '91 season.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Don't mind me... I was just dragging in a foolish argument from another thread. The '84 Dolphins aren't even close to the '78 Cowboys or any of the others listed.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

'90 Bills

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

1. 1978 Cowboys
    2. 1990 Bills
    3. 1984 Dolphins
    4. 1983 Redskins
    5. 2001 Rams

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I had voted '78 cowboys, but I hadn't realized that the Bengals were a stunning 116 games over .500.

Draft saved Draft deleted