1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Sub Sandwiches

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by secretariat, Jun 1, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, off topic, but slightly apropos, but apparently when Palin was in town for dinner in NYC with Trump, they went out for "authentic New York Pizza."

So, did they go to one of the dozens of great NYC pizza places? Nope, they went to a chain restaurant (owned by Albanians) in Times Square.

And, Jon Stewart rightly went off on them:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-june-1-2011/me-lover-s-pizza-with-crazy-broad

2. patchs

patchs Active Member

I can't believe no one has mentioned Wegmans, which many think is the best grocery chain in the country.
    [​IMG]
    The best bread makes the best subs. A 14-inch can be lunch and dinner. Awesome meats, including shaved steak with onions, provolone and A1. MMM!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Baldino's. Quizno's and Jersey Mikes aren't bad, either, but Baldino's fucking rules.
    At one of my previous stops, there was a Blimpie's across the street. The lifestyles editor and I had worked together before and she said there was a baldino's about 10 minutes away. It didn't take long before I had everyone in my shop making the trek across to Baldino's, passing Blimpie's and Subway (rubbish) along the way.

4. Taylor Gourmet subs in DC are absolutely to die for. I love their Italian sandwiches.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

My father in law and his girlfriend live in Florida. When we visit we go to Publix within a day of making any excuse to get there. We usually stop there for subs to take to the beach, yum.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

I just know that detailed menus work best. I took one of the hotdog menus, gave it to my wife and we're going to try to mimic some of the choices tonight at home.

7. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I did in my post on page two or whichever page it was. IMHO, it is the best grocery chain in the country. Pretty damn good chicken finger subs I must say.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Had Jersey Mike's for lunch today. Quite good. Not the best, but very good.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Settling for a chain when Grimaldi's is in Brooklyn and Hoboken? Ugh ... and there are undoubtedly a bevy of other good locally-owned pizza options, too.

Good for Jon Stewart. And we can bark about it here and not get burned on politics ...

Draft saved Draft deleted