1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Sub Sandwiches

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by secretariat, Jun 1, 2011.

1. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

I really liked Earl of Sandwich (Planet Hollywood) when I was out in Vegas last summer.

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Love some Jersey Mikes, it's awesome here in a town that only has Subway, Charlies, Quiznos and Jersey.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've said it many times with a straight face -- one of the best parts of moving back to Florida is Publix. You really miss good grocery stores when you live somewhere without 'em.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely agree. Loved Publix when I lived down there.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The entire state of California can't get it right - Togo's, Port O subs, Subway. They're all over the place and people love them.
    I don't care that they baked the bread fresh, those spongie, soft rolls are no good. A sandwich roll needs some crust.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bernie's Sub Shop at the Tuckahoe Shopping Plaza in the west end of Richmond. Yummy back in the day and I hear it's still outstanding.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The bread is hugely important. The place I posted the photo from gets their bread from a bakery next door.

Another issue is pre-slicing the meat.

A deli should slice the meat when you order the sandwich. Growing up in New York, every deli sliced the meat after you ordered.

If you pre-slice the peat it oxidizes, dries out, and is plain gross.

The quality of the cured meats is huge too. Boars Head does good cured meats.

The places I grew up going to cooked their own roast beef and turkey. None of the chains do that.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Sloppy Joes from Eppes Essen, now in Livingston NJ, but I remember the one from West Orange.
    not the Manwich stylem but the triple decker corned beef turkey and pastrami with cole saw and russian dressing.

The original Blimpie, I think was in Wildwood NJ, that was good.

Almost every neighborhood pizza place From Westchester NY down to the Delaware Memorial Bridge and as far west as Valley Forge Pa has better heroes, subs or hoagies than any other place, anywhere.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Friend/former co-worker put on Facebook tonight: Publix is advertising a deli-made buffalo chicken tenders sub.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

IMO, the two best chains are Jimmy Johns and Firehouse. Two completely different sandwiches, but they're both head and shoulders above the Subways and Quizno's of the world.

12. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Where is DiStefano's? I've always been partial to Carmen's in Bellmawr. We always bring some back to the Midwest when we go on vacation in July.

Draft saved Draft deleted