1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Sub Sandwiches

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by secretariat, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

We need a thread on best po-boys, to teach you folks a thing or two.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

True.

There are more great sandwiches in the Terminal Market alone than can be found in most major cities. DiNic's roast pork with greens and Provolone being the best of these.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Nope. I've heard of them but never had the opportunity to go check it out. The only chain here is Subway. GPD is right across the street from it.

A place here called Papa Don's, which is primarily a pizza place, used to make the best Reuben sandwich I knew of, even better than Great Plains Deli. But corned beef got to expensive for them and they dropped it.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Well, if you are in Lawrence you can check out the original, it's actually called Yello Sub. All the franchises are Planet Sub, but it's the same menu. I ate at Planet Sub in Emporia three times in a weekend when I was there for a wedding last summer. I think they have a couple in Wichita too.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Publix and Wa Wa.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Best chains I've experienced... Jimmy John's and Mr. Goodcents.

As for the best local place, my favorite is actually here at my current gig. It's called Head West. The one downtown is a hippie bonanza, but they have this sweet bread that's insane. I go with the turkey and provolone, with lettuce, onion, thick cut pickles, mayo and spicy mustard.

My fat ass can take down the whole thing in one sitting... but it's enough for two meals for normal folks.

7. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I miss Jim's Steakout. You could also get a damn good chicken finger sub at Wegmans.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

For chain's I like Sheetz MTO. Always make it a point to stop once or three times when I'm travelling. Haven't really found a good place since I moved.

9. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Penn Station is really solid. Love the cheesesteak.

I also like a chain found in some malls, The Steak Escape.

For cut-rate prices, Quiznos offers a good $5 turkey sub.

I was always high on Schlotsky's but there are none around where I live anymore.

10. Mizzougrad96

I wish that was a national chain. That place is amazing...

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How great can something be if you are not actually cooking or baking?

Just order the right bread (fresh Italian) and slice good meat and cheese after they order and it's pretty tough to screw up a sub if you do those two things.

And yet, Subway still does.

12. Mizzougrad96

I went to a deli in NY that was walking distance from the MSG and had one of the best roast beef sandwiches I've ever had. I have no idea what the place was called and I think it was more than $10 for the sandwich and a pickle, but it definitely makes you appreciate a place that can make a good sandwich.

Draft saved Draft deleted