1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Sub Sandwiches

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by secretariat, Jun 1, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Boar's Head meats are the key. Try to save a buck by getting Publix meats, and it's nowhere near as good. Also, the Publix chicken tender sub is delicious.

When I was at IU, Dagwood's made ginormous subs. They have been less impressive in my visits as an alum.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Oh, ya, the chicken tender sub with honey mustard is awesome. But I usually gravitated toward the Italian and/or the American.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is sad. There are no sub sandwiches worthy of special mention (although many are perfectly decent, like around here), outside of the zone of Wilmington, Del., South Jersey and Philadelphia. In that zone, there are too many to mention.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Heading to this place over the weekend. Will likely order one of the subs now.

http://chapspitbeef.com/menu.html

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Bear sandwich?

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Why are we limiting this to cold cuts?

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Do they have Planet Sub in your town? It doesn't fit in the no-hot-sub limitations, but they got to be the best sandwiches in the midwest.

8. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

There's a place called Capriotti's in Del I always visited, where they make something called a "Capistrami", which is pretty freaking tasty. Dinicks at the old train station in Philly has great pork sammiches, but i don't know if that fits this poll.

9. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Like.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Only a damn yankee would limit a discussion of sandwiches to cold cuts. :eek: :eek:

Now, if you want a truly orgasmic sandwich experience, you must get yourself to Cafe Maspero on Decatur Street in the French Quarter (about a block off Jackson Square) and have one of their roast beef po-boys. If you don't walk out of there with gravy splatters on your shirt, you ain't doin' it right.

Closer to home, the fried shrimp po-boy with gumbo on the side at the Gold Post in Hattiesburg is almost as good as anything you'll find down in New Orleans.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm with Hank. Among chains, it's Penn Station without a doubt. However, I always get toasted ones, so I figured it was out of the discussion.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Togo's -- the original shop -- is a former employer of mine and still the place to go when I am home for a torpedo.
    Bread baked every morning in the shop...great small place and wonderful shop.

Draft saved Draft deleted