1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best states at fighting corruption

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 19, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Big shocker: No states earned an A, and 37 states either got a C or D. New Jersey and California (WTF?) are at the top of the list, along with Connecticut, Washington and Nebraska. The FAIL states are North Dakota, Michigan, South Carolina, Maine, Virginia, Wyoming, South Dakota and Georgia.

http://news.yahoo.com/jersey-no-kidding-among-best-corruption-fighters-041317469.html

The study, in part, cites the gutting of newspaper staffs as a factor in the declining grades.

And, I know this won't play well to the "Democrats good, Republicans bad" folks around here, but Chris Christie is praised for his work, both as governor and formerly as a U.S. Attorney.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Louisiana slipped the research team a few rolled-up 100s and said "Keep it fair. Keep it fair."

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would assume that North and South Dakota got bad marks fighting corruption because there isn't any, while in New Jersey they have plenty of practice.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Rhode Island has to be last, right?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

California has a whole city, Bell, that's practically closing its doors because the city manager and his cronies walked out the front door with wheelbarrows full of money.

But its one of the least corrupt. Right.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not as long as Illinois and Louisiana are still in the fight.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Did you bother to read the story?

You know how the Bell corruption came to light? Because California has such stringent open-records laws that the LAT was able to nail the suckers.

There are more county and local governments in California than probably the smallest 20 states combined. But keep fucking that California's-screwed chicken.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Cuomo led about as corrupt a government organization as ever existed when he was in charge of HUD.Why anyone would take any effort by him to be a legitimate attempt at ethics reform? Things have always been bad. He's as bad as anyone has ever been.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dunno, Buddy Cianci is worth a bunch on his own...

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This might have been the best "sunshine week" related thing I read this year. I've seen dozens of public records stories that were played up but really revealed nothing other than that the local paper still knew how to request public docs.
    I thought the parts that showed that there are ways around most ethics laws to be pretty illuminating - I don't know if they were written that way, or lobbyists will always find a way through - like weeds or water.

Draft saved Draft deleted