1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best state to live in as a sports reporter?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Damaramu, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

It just seems to me like a lot of the stuff posted on journalismjobs is entry level or for newbies entering the business.

Then again I guess these days you can't be too choosy. Maybe when moving jobs it should be because you're improving the situation not because you're making a huge leap in pay(because that doesn't seem to happen too much).

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

That's where the covered wagon broke down.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but in a lot of cases a high-end job (like a college or pro beat writer) isn't advertised. Papers will either promote from within, handpick someone, or get a number of applications through professional recommendations and word of mouth.

4. doctor x

doctor x Member

No love for Vermont?

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Is Vermont still a state?

6. awriter

awriter Active Member

Well, it's not certainly not the best one to live in, but it's the one most of us live in: Poverty.

7. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

I'm guessing the top states are North Dakota, South Dakota, Idaho, Wyoming, anywhere north of Boston in the Northeast, Utah.

8. I worked for a couple of small papers in Arizona, about 90 minutes north of Phoenix, for about four years -- and loved it. It probably still ranks as my favorite job experience. Part of it is because I'm from "back East" and living out West in general was a completely different experience. We covered mostly preps at our papers, but I also got the chance to sample coverage of the Diamondbacks, Spring Training, Arizona State, etc. Got a photo pass from the Fiesta Bowl one year, and that was a lot of fun...

9. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

why would you list this as a negative?

10. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

While I am a Canuckistan, I have heard from friends who are States side that NYC, Pennsylvania, Colorado, California, Florida, Texas and Michigan are the best places.

Some of these friends are in the sports business, while others know people in the industry.

Would all of you agree with these ones, or disagree?

11. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Philly is a state? I know that most Pennsylvanians disown it.

Draft saved Draft deleted