1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best state to live in as a sports reporter?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Damaramu, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

I figured everyone would have a different opinion on this one.

What do you think is the best state to live in and cover sports? Like where would be the ideal place for a sports reporter to live and work at?

For me it's Arizona. I've heard nothing but good things about the weather there. They seem to have a wide variety of pro and college teams to cover as well. I figured you'd have no shortage of work to do there.

I've always wanted to end up working at a paper in Oklahoma because it's where I grew up and where my family is. But, honestly if it came down to Arizona or my home I'd go with Arizona.

What does everyone else think?

*PS* Does every state have a press association website with job listings? Because I know OK has the Oklahoma Press Association and I've seen some decent openings on there. Wonder if 'zona has that too? Forgive my noobish and neophyte musings.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Most state press associations have some form of job listings on their sites, but the quality varies. Some of them have every job, others only advertise for the desperate.
    apse.dallasnews.com or journalismjobs.com don't have every job, but they have enough to give you an idea of what's out there at a wide variety of places.
    Here's a pretty good list of links to state press associations. Peruse them at your leisure:
    http://www.mspress.org/pressassn.html

As for the best states to work in, I would think any area that gives you a chance to cover pro and college stuff in addition to solid prep sports would be good. Texas, maybe, or Florida. Both have decent weather and neither has state income tax. The Northeast corridor would be good for variety, but has a lot of other factors working against it (crowded, lots of competition on the bigger beats, weather, etc.).

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Best state to live in as a sports reporter?

Denial.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

State of employment.

5. I would say Texas. The state is passionate at every level and most big cities such as Houston, Dallas and San Antonio have a cheap cost of living compared to most major cities. The sports sections, big and small, are solid across the board and the weather is great 10 months a year (excluding summer).

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Disbelief

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Saskatchewan

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I would say the central part of New Jersey.
    - High school sports are big
    - You've got Rutgers for D-1 major, you've got Rider, Princeton and Monmouth as mid-lower D-1 majors... there's a few D3s and a bunch of JUCOs.
    - Plus if you're in the right part of central Jersey you're in the overlap market.. where all the Philly and New York City pro teams get to be/need to be covered.
    - A little bit off to the north or the south and you lose some of the D1s and a city (either NYC or Philly)

Yes, the cost of living is high, but you get exposure to both media markets which is a plus... especially if you don't have a dish and the NYC and Philly stations are airing different NFL games.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good points all.

Long drives and monotonous scenery in most of Texas, though.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Indiana

Or whichever state has a paper that offers you a job.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Stoned, as long as you don't have to build an agate page.

12. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Confusion.

Draft saved Draft deleted