1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Stanley Cup Playoff Games/Series?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cansportschick, May 30, 2007.

1. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

As a Ranger fan there are three series I remember in particular -- obviously the 1994 conference final and cup final, and that's been discussed ad infinitum on this board.

But the best playoff series I ever witnessed that'll never get mentioned on this board was a first-round Patrick Division matchup in 1984 with the Islanders. Islanders were in their "drive for five", had beaten the Rangers three straight years in the playoffs (including the semis in 1981). Rangers up two games to one in the best of 5 series, led in the third period of Game 4, seemed ready to about to close it out, but Isles find a way to rally to win. Game 5, Isles lead with under a minute left, but Don Maloney scores with 39 seconds left to send it into overtime. The OT was unreal...Billy Smith basically saved the Isles' asses with several key saves, Glen Hanlon was great for the Rangers well. But Ken Morrow scored about eight minutes in, and the Isles go on to the finals. That series -- and a series where they had to rally down 0-2 in the Wales finals against the Canadiens, drained them so much that they were dog meat against Edmonton in the final, and so much for the drive for five. The Rangers-Isles rivalry in those years was just beyond bitter.

I'll throw another playoff series out there -- the 1986 Smythe final between Calgary and Edmonton -- Steve Smith scored into his own goal to break a tie late in Game 7 that, looking back now, was what cost Edmonton winning five straight Stanley Cups. Another just absolute beyond bitter rivalry.

Best Stanley Cup final I ever saw and it hooked me as a hockey fan as a kid -- the 1971 final between Chicago and Montreal. Both teams won the first six games on home ice, Blackhawks hosted Game 7, led 2-0 and seemed ready to hoist the Cup. But Montreal rallied late on two goals by Henri Richard to win 3-2, a Cup they were not supposed to win. Ken Dryden, who'd only played six career games, named MVP and was unbelievable, thus starting his Hall of Fame career.

Runnerup -- '87 finals between Flyers and Oilers, goes seven, Ron Hextall wins the MVP as a loser for the Flyers. Edmonton was vastly better and had the obvious Hall of Fame lineup, but Flyers made several dramatic comebacks and nearly pulled off the upset.

2. Devils/Rangers (Eastern Conference Finals in 1994)

Lot of drama and excitement in this series with Messier proclaiming that gurantee and backing it up. Martin Brodeur making a name of himself.

Draft saved Draft deleted