1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Stanley Cup Playoff Games/Series?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cansportschick, May 30, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Since it is Stanley Cup Final time, I was thinking about the best games/series and the one that keeps coming to mind is the New Jersey/Colorado Series from 2001 that went to game 7. In my opinion, it was one of those series that both teams were similar and when it was the eve of game 7 no one still knew who would come out on top, with great goaltenders, defenceman and fowards. Also, this was the Cup final where Ray Bourque finally got his Cup.

What is the best series/playoff game in your opinion (it should be one you watched or covered)?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Both the 1991 and 1992 Stanley Cups. But then, I say that with complete bias.

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Oh, the 1991 one was ever so painful for a North Stars fan. It's so puzzling though. They put Stewart Gavin on JR to beat the Blackhawks, and do the same with Brett Hull. I think they also shadowed whomever Edmonton's big gun was that year. Then they get to the final, and they elect not to play him against Lemieux — who simply dominated that series. I really thought that was going to be our year.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was 67 the Bob Baun broken leg or 64?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

1964. Howe hit him with a shot

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The 2006 finals are the most exciting I've seen, but I'm a bit biased.

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I'm with you on that. I don't know if I'd say that was the best I've seen, but it was up there. I quote enjoyed both Calgary-Montreal series (86 and 89).

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Not a final but a first round game seven, Edmonton vs Dallas. Goes into OT.

Cujo makes an unbelievable save--the, I don't believe what I just saw kind--and Todd Marchant a minute later grabs the puck in his own end, takes off like a bat out of hell and roofs it on Belfour.

Here's the clip

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

1992 Game 1: Penguins 5, Blackhawks 4

Lemieux's game-winner at 19:47

Jagr undresses damn near the entire Chicago defense

Blackhawks had won 11 straight games and held leads of 3-0 and 4-1.

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

For us thirty-somethings, 1994 always comes to mind first.

Last year's finals were outstanding. Best action, especially in front of the net, that I'd seen in a long time.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Since '67 the Final has only gone to seven games seven times. And three of those have happened in the last three Finals.

The Rangers/Canucks was a great series. I'd say probably the best in the last 15 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted