1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best stand-up comics most people haven't heard of

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jay Sherman, Jun 28, 2008.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I've never seen his act, but I alway thought he was the best part of those VH1 "I love the (decade)" shows.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Lynch's "Craig Christ," a song about Jesus' brother, is completely wrong and one of the most hilarious things I've ever heard.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Gaffigan's "Hot Pocket" routine is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Regan's "Donut Lady" leaves me on the floor every time.

Gaffigan is pretty big in commercials and has done quite a bit of TV, but I don't think I've ever seen Regan in anything other than Comedy Central.

Jim Norton is hysterical. I went to a bachelor party in Vegas several years ago and we went to see Andrew Dice Clay as a goof since we all were fans of his in high school back in the late 80s. Dice was what you'd expect, but Norton, who opened for him, was fucking hysterical. He's way too dirty to be mainstream, but goddamn is the guy funny.

Rich Vos and Bonnie McFarlane (who are actually married) are two I really like. Vos used to be on "Tough Crowd" on Comedy Central and I think McFarlane was on one of the Last Comic Standings, although she didn't do very well there.

Nick DiPaolo is hysterical. I'm surprised he's not bigger.

I saw Jim Florentine open for Artie Lange awhile back, he was hilarious. Lange was unbelievable, but Florentine was a very nice surprise.

4. Mizzougrad96

It's funny. Giraldo is on Stern a lot and I guess they were interviewing him about some pilot he did for CBS. It was the same year they did a pilot for Everybody Loves Raymond and just about every critic who saw both preferred Giraldo's show to Romano's.

Well, we know what happened.

But, yeah Giraldo is hilarious.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Holy cats, that's some funny stuff.

6. Mizzougrad96

It's funny. In all of the seasons of Last Comic Standing, I don't think any of the winners have gone on to do anything significant. Several of the others, have done pretty well.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I lost all faith in that show after the first season, when the inane, unfunny Dat Phan beat out about six or seven outstanding comics.

8. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, Phan sucks. I'm not a big Ralphie May fan, but he at least has a pretty big following.

I thought Vos was going to win that season and there was another guy who was from Minnesota or one of the Dakotas, who I thought was hysterical as well.

I saw Phan's Comedy Central special and 99 percent of it was. "Hey, I'm Vietnamese, watch me do a funny voice..."

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Not a big Ralphie May fan, either. I was pulling for Vos and Dave Mordal (the guy from Minnesota). I seriously thought Dat Phan was the worst comic on the show.

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Holy shit that was funny.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's awesome.

12. Mizzougrad96

I thought the same thing.

I'm a little surprised we haven't heard much from John Heffron or Alonzo Bodden. I thought both were pretty funny and I don't think either has done anything beyond a Comedy Central special.

I think McFarlane is the only person from LCS to get a HBO Special, although one of the females from Season 2 had done one before she was on the show. I can't remember her name, but she's been around forever.

Draft saved Draft deleted