1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best stadium to watch an NFL game (not including Lambeau and JerryWorld)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd rather watch the Red Zone channel non-stop on Sunday. The only reason that doesn't happen is because friends and family have to watch the local team.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This is the first year I've had the Ticket, and I think I flipped to the Red Zone channel once. What do they run when no team is in the red zone?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Live game action.

When the Skins are not on, give it a shot. It is insane when they have 4-5 games winding down. And the host is fantastic.

I really cannot describe how great this is.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Why'd they keep referring to it as "New Arrowhead Stadium" last night? I assume there was a facelift involved, but was it extensive enough to merit a new name?

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I have a multi-TV setup in the man cave, so I can do it even when the Skins are on. With multiple TVs, you get more crawls, which -- at least CBS -- puts a red mark next to the team with the ball in the redzone as they scroll through the scores. I noticed Houston was in the redzone, so I switched over to the Houston-Indy channel. Later, I noticed another team in the redzone, so I flipped to that channel.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hell - it's been a while since I've seen Arrowhead cheering a decent team. I think I'll throw KC on the pile as places I'd like to see a game. Their fans were nuts last night.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

When the stands are full, Arrowhead is a great experience. And generally the team just has to be competitive to fill the stands

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It had been a couple of years, but I didn't notice that much different during the Manchester United match this summer.

9. Mizzougrad96

A little more than a decade ago I would have said Arrowhead was the best place to see a game, period.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not doubting the setup, but try the Redzone for 30 minutes. They also will split screen multiple games.

If I had two TVs in one room, I would keep the Steelers/Skins on one at all time and RZ on the other.

11. Mizzougrad96

I have friends who put the local game on the big screen and they have red zone on the other TV right next to it. It's a pretty sweet setup.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

15 years ago, there was nothing like Arrowhead on a Monday night.

Nothing.

I saw, as a fan, and later as a journalist. The entire city had a buzz about it - every office worker would wear red. As you'd drive into Arrowhead's parking lots, you would see this cloud of smoke over the thousands of BBQ tailgaters.

"Al, Frank and Dan" would troll the field before the game. Ol' timers like Dick Schaap would fly in, day of the game, and hold court in the media dining room (full of BBQ) with little peons like me. I met so many people whose journalistic work I valued during the mid-90's at Chiefs games.

Then the Chiefs eroded... Marty left and the decline started. Carl Petersen grappled away more control, gave some to Vermeil and, once he left, grabbed even more. By 2007, it just wasn't worth it to pay $25 for parking, $150 for tickets to sit in the stands and watch an unexciting team that would probably lose... ESPECIALLY when the home TV experience was that much better.

Good to see it back last night but, yeah, I'd still watch it at home.

I think I "did it right" last night. TiVo'd both games and started watching Jets-Ravens during the early 4th quarter. Thanks to the programmable 30-second "skip" button, I rifled through that ugly 10-9 game in about 30 minutes time. Picked up Chiefs-Chargers in second quarter. Good to go.

TiVo has actually maximized my football viewing and my non-productive time as well. I'll just avoid TVs and sports websites until halftime of the 4 PM ET kickoffs -- start with the early games and I'm all set.

Draft saved Draft deleted