1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best stadium to watch an NFL game (not including Lambeau and JerryWorld)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Wrigley Field was glorious. Those attending NU/Ill on November 20 will get the general idea.

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Nixon was at the opening of both Lambeau (57) and Candlestick (59)

3. Crash

Crash Active Member

The NFL is like the anti-NHL. For as great as NFL games can be on TV (where they're growing increasingly slow and boring), the in-person experience pretty much sucks.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised, there really aren't all that many good bars or restaurants that are close to the Superdome, but if you don't mind a bit of a hike, it's not that far from the French Quarter to the Dome.

There is also a good street scene in the blocks surrounding the stadium, and it's a good atmosphere inside to watch a game, very festive and VERY loud.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Does the Superdome still have that wild geometric-patterned carpeting on the tunnels leading to the upper deck?

Nothing worse for a hangover than walking in circles from street level to the upper deck on that old carpet. If your head wasn't spinning from the night before, it was by the time you reached the seats.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I am actually going to the Indiana/Illinois game on Oct. 23 in Champaing and then the Bears/Redskins game on Oct. 24th in Chicago, any reccommendations for bars/resteraunts in the area? PM me if you want.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

This.

I know it's been a recent topic all over talk radio but we're at a REAL tipping point.

Let's see...
    Home:
    - Easy access to bathroom
    - If games stink, go outside and enjoy Sunday with kids.
    - Whatever food I like.
    - No drunks.

Stadium:
    - $25 parking
    - $200-400 for two people
    - Endless TV Timeouts
    - Gotta commit to one game
    - Drunks screaming dumb chants
    - Freezing after mid-November

The in-game experience just isn't important to me any more. Cool when I was in my 20's but, nah, I'll leave that for the others.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

With the exception of anything that's opened in the last year or two, I've been to them all.

I love Lincoln Financial. That's just an incredible stadium. Same thing with Houston. Great stadium.

Since we're not counting Lambeau, Arrowhead is right at the top of the list for gameday atmosphere. Cincinnati is underrated.

Worst stadium is Candlestick or whatever it's called. As soon as Arizona got a new stadium that took over as the worst stadium in the league.

Worst atmosphere is Jacksonville by a thousand miles.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Those endless TV timeouts occur at home, too. But that's nit-picking. You make very valid points. Also, add in the traffic and way more than $25 for parking, at least where I'm at.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But when those endless TV timeouts happen at home, you can switch to another game.

It reminds me of when I took my wife to her first NCAA Tournament. During the first round No. 1 vs. No. 16 blowout, she said "I wish they could switch this to a closer game like on TV."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're right. Although, if I had a dime for the number of times I switched to another game only to find another annoying TV timeout....ugh. But yeah, at least you have the option.

12. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I live in an area where I get two CBS stations that often carry different games. It's awesome. I usually have three games going at the same time at some point in the day.

Draft saved Draft deleted