1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best stadium in baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Actually, they took out a ton of seats after the Olympics. But at the time they opened Turner Field, the Braves were coming off a World Series championship and selling out every game.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Kauffman Stadium. Other than the area (there's NOTHING around the stadium. Yawn.) it's a fabulous place to watch a ball game. Good ticket prices, good food selection, and the fountains still give the stadium a one-of-a-kind look.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I love Camden Yards, and look forward to the day I can return...After Angelos sells the club.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Neat little AAA ballpark in Allentown, Pa. Home of the Lehigh Valley Ironpigs.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The empty seats.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I will always rate Fenway at or near the top of the list, but for newer parks Philly has a pretty damn good one.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Haven't been to many parks aside from SkyDome, but I loved both PNC and Camden Yards. Angels Stadium was pretty cool too, nothing like baseball in southern California. Been outside of Petco, but the Padres were on the road. Looking forward to going there next year.

The 'Dome (will never be Rogers Centre to me) can be a mausoleum when the place is 1/4 full and the roof is closed but on a great day, weather-wise, like yesterday, it's still a pretty good venue. It's a better place, as far as amenities like concessions etc. go, than it was in the early days when it was packed every night. And there are plenty of good bars and restaurants in the surrounding area.

I'll give a shoutout to AutoZone Park in Memphis. Great minor league park.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My hometown Indianapolis Indians have a gem of a park too.

I'll cast another vote for PNC Park.

Really enjoyed the Jake when I went a decade ago, which pains me to say as a Cleveland basher/Cincy loyalist. It's way better than Great American Ballpark, which just isn't terribly inspired when put up against all the other newer parks. Nice, but not a must-see.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Have always loved Dodger Stadium. PNC is fantastic. And, yeah, I go there a lot, but for accessibility, prices and views, Coors Field is great.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Of the old parks, Dodger Stadium (holy cow, I can't believe I just wrote that) is my favorite. Very beautiful setting. I have very mixed emotions about Fenway. It's a super-extreme mixture of the fabulous and crappy. A 40,000 seat park where about 8000 seats do not allow one to see the entire field (at top dollar) has some drawbacks. Facilities such as concesssions, etc, also subpar. But if you aren't in one of the 8000 bad seats, it's great.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Actually, it doesn't lack empty seats. Plenty of those, although they drew 30K+ each of the last three games.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Before going to a game there in 2008, our group was looking for something to eat and Mike Shannon's was one of the only options. Imagine our surprise when even the bar side of the restaurant -- located next to the stadium and bearing the name of a Cards broadcaster -- didn't have burgers or sandwiches, just overpriced steaks and entrees. Extremely strange place.

Draft saved Draft deleted