1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Sportswriter in the US,

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dkphxf, Oct 31, 2010.

1. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Pickle_Juice ... gotta be the best by now, right?

2. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

Gregg Doyel says Sam Mellinger
    Sam Mellinger says Gregg Doyel

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's sad. A few years ago this thread would have been 10 pages long by now.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Mike Freeman is the best web writer.

Mike Bianchi is the best columnist.

Dave Sheinin is the best beat guy.

Doyel would be the best if his whole attitude didn't scream: "like this or I'll beat you up."

One person's opinions.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My &!*#@ wife.

I've been in the biz for 15 years, never sniffed any major awards or a nod in our annual bible, BASW. My wife, on the other hand, wrote her first sports story last year and ended up getting an honorable mention in the latest BASW.

But I'm not bitter. Bitch.

6. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

I second Dave Sheinin.

He writes phenomenal game stories, then after I read the story, I think, "That was actually a very boring game he witnessed."

7. Depends on your definition of "best." Mine is the reporters who do the most given the access limitations we now face, and those who do the best homework.

Dan Wetzel, Charles Robinson and Jason Cole do a pretty damn good job at breaking real news. SL Price's profile of Urban Meyer last December was incredible. George Dohrman's name is always attached to good investigative journalism. And for my daily columnist I'll take Dave Hyde.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting LZ!

Seriously, stop thinking of people.
    It's me [/myoverlyinflatedego]

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Could you HEAR my head explode where you are?

10. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

T.J. Simers has to be in the mix. A lot of scribes don't like him because of his disruptive presence, and it does suck when he chases coach/manager/player you need material from on deadline from a dugout or podium. But Simers has no peers when it comes to cutting through bullshit with consistently compelling material.

11. Mira

Mira Member

Michael Lewis and S.I. Price also are excellent choices.

One thing I'd like to bring up with beat writers are these things: wouldn't it be cool to read what they could do with another beat ... Just to see how the talent would transition to another sport?

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Best sports columnist - Alan Greenwood. Hands down!

Draft saved Draft deleted