1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best sports story of the day comes from Chicago

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Sep 23, 2008.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Toward the end of last season, we suddenly started seeing 'Hawks games on TV, which had me wondering if Dollar Bill's corpse was even cold when Rocky got on the horn to Comcast. This year, there are games on both Comcast AND WGN.

Looking for tickets the other night to a mid-season, mid-week, non-division game I discovered the cheap seats were sold out. Another good sign, if you believe Bill Veeck's truism that the knowledge of the fan is inverse to the amount of money paid for the ticket. Good on the 'Hawks.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That's fantastic news. Also good news for those of us who enjoy watching a young, exciting team is that WGN Superstation may broadcast some of their games.

Nothing on the website yet, but that would be a great development.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Chicago at one time was a very good hockey town. If McDonough gets this out of the ditch the Hawks will blow by the Bulls and, possibly, the White Sox in terms of popularity in town.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Oh, they cared. Once the Bears fell off the table after '63 and the Sox shriveled up and died after '67, the Hawks and their fantastic
    roster were subjects of throbbing passion for many years, even though hopes for a fourth Cup were annually thwarted.

Their red jersey is the greatest winter-sport top ever designed.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And after The Big M, the greatest left winger of his generation.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

De-batable.

And as we all know, that very trade was almost made, when the Hawks were distressed by the fact that Robert Marvin Hull actually
    wanted to get . . . hey . . . paid.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

They also brought back Pat Foley...someone who never should have been let go in the first place.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Chicago never stopped loving hockey. It stopped loving the Bill Wirtz excuse for it, especially at Bill Wirtz prices.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A surge in popularity in the Chicago market alone probably means a 20% stateside bump for the NHL as a whole. This is huge for the league.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

I forgot as well...WGN is carrying 20 of their games this season.
    That's not gonna hurt either.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A column in the Toronto Sun today noted that scalpers were flogging tickets to last ngiht's freebie between the Leafs and Sabres. And people were buyin' 'em. Only here.

12. i hope, as gb hack, that they throw the games on the superstation and not only on the over-the-air version of wgn.

that alone would top versus in exposure in many markets on the east coast and in the midwest. i hope the league pushes for it.

blackhawks' web site says they'll have 18 games on wgn, by my count.

Draft saved Draft deleted