1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best sports sections (not based on APSE judging)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MMatt60, Jul 5, 2008.

1. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

On another thread, a couple of people said Orlando is overrated. I wouldn't disagree.

But on a more positive note: Any thought on the sections that are under-appreciated, and why? Or thoughts on sections that get APSE recognition and deserve it.

2. ateri

ateri New Member

For what it is, I love the NY Post. Talk about connecting with your readers.

The Columbia State has a great college football gameday section.

Was very impressed with the News-gazette - champaign, I believe - at APSE judging.

There just aren't a lot of good ones anymore. Some don't even appear to be trying, including Rochester and Syracuse. They're both disgraceful.

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I really do love The State. The design is top notch, the writing is excellent and they seem to be doing a good job of utilizing the Web site. It's a newspaper that thinks big and isn't afraid to allow a writer time to work on a big project. Now, Bob Spear (columnist) and Jim McLaurin (preps, former NASCAR guy) just retired, so it'll be interesting to see what they do in the coming months.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'm curious why you believe the Post connects with its readers any more than other newspapers do. It seems like every time they raise the price above a quarter, they "connect" with a lot fewer of them. I'd argue that it's not a relationship based on connection but on whim.

Draft saved Draft deleted