1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

best sports section: SF Chronicle?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Jan 13, 2007.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

Jason Fry of WSJ Daily Fix picks Chronicle as best section.

http://www.sportsmediaguide.com/01102007-JasonFry.asp

Hard to argue against this after their Balco coverage - not that it's a slam-dunk

NY Daily News broke the Bonds 'speed' story - seems like they're always breaking stuff

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I always thought it was the Roswell Daily Record. Guess I was wrong. Dammit.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It's a very small section. Their BALCO coverage was amazing, but their paper isn't.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I've always felt that the Chron gets fucked yearly at APSE. It'll win multiple writing awards -- as many as five in a year (2002, I searched on the APSE site) -- but seldom gets even an honorable mention in Best Daily or Best Sunday. Meanwhile, sections can win Triple Crowns with not even an honorable mention in any writing category, which is a total joke. I don't want to say it's favoritism, but I do think the section judging is about honoring whatever the current fad or gimmick is. I liked the Chron even better before Hearst took over -- it was ugly but had a unique personality. I used to buy it regularly at out-of-town newsstands because it went its own way without any regard to what other sports sections were doing.

5. fishwrapper

Frank, I agree with you a lot. But, these days the Chron is basically all coverage. There's hardly room for enterprise or takeouts.
    (The Fainaru-Wada/Williams examination is obviously the pink elephant in the room. But, that has been almost exclusively out front.)
    Oh, and Ostler is a stud.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

He said the Chron was his favorite section, not the best section period, mostly on the strength of the columnists.
    But he also liked the Wash Post, Detroit Freep and the combined efforts of the Inky and the News on Philly.com.

7. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

solid lineup of columnists - ratto, knapp, jenkins, ostler - good beat reporters in slusser and schulman - and then fainaru-wada and williams -

it's hard to get past the ny papers - ferocious competition forces them to be good - even the times, or especially the times - though it's often ripped on this board

boston globe used to be up there but has lost its fastball

8. fishwrapper

And, here is the problem. We're comparing apples and HTMLs.

He says section, but what he really meant was website.
    Just like Fry's column, which can be found exclusively online.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

The SF Chron. improved exponentially once they rid themselves of the biased joke that is Ira Miller. It's all onwards and upwards after he left.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Chrissakes.... It's closer to the worst major daily section than the best.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

The Daily News and Post battle over "scoops" (that word again) at the expense of solid, day-to-day coverage that benefits the readers.

12. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

henry, can we just call you Mr. SMG?

Draft saved Draft deleted