1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best sports personality you've ever covered...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chazp, Jun 16, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

Nitschke? How long have you been in the biz?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm. My top two would be: Whitey Ford and Tim Hardaway. This was probably 7 or 8 years ago, and Ford's still around, but I was warned even then about him having gotten old and cranky and to not expect to take too much time with him. I couldn't get rid of the guy, though, and ended up with various phone numbers because he wanted me to call him with some info I didn't have at my fingertips, regarding a side conversation we had after the interview. He was a great story teller. I can't imagine what he was like when he was younger and sharper. Hardaway--his recent bout of homophobia notwithstanding--always cracked me up and gave me two of the most ridiculous monologues I have ever gotten from someone during an interview. We actually ran a transcript of him expounding on the virtues of fruity pebbles as a breakfast cereal, which reads even funnier today, given what we know now about his feelings about gays. Honorable mentions go to my all-defense team: Michael Strahan (Yes, I know everyone thinks he is a dick), Brian Dawkins and Derrick Brooks (not so much because he is colorful, but because 1) he is an interesting person, and 2) I need a translator on hand to understand half of what he says with the Florida accent).

3. lono

lono Active Member

Points deducted for spelling Earnhardt's name wrong. Duoh!

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In the last few years, Rob Woodward, former Red Sox pitcher, who lives in town.

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Top four:

1. Pete Rose. Very profane, but amazing memory.

2. Ben Hogan. I was well prepared, but still ended up intimidated. Could actually feel my face turning red.

3. Magic Johnson. Always stayed until every writer had asked all his or her questions. Amazing, and insightful.

4. Lou Holtz.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Add me to the list of Force fans, but really almost anyone in the drag racing scene kicks ass as far as being good personalities and easy to deal with. Covered an NHRA event a few years back and even the biggest names (Force, Schumacher, Dixon) were as easy to talk to as the folksy high school baseball coach who's been there for 30 years.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Maxwell visited our school recently, something he does a lot of.

He was a gracious as anyone I have ever seen.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Oh, that was a great, great team to be rooting for as a 10-year-old. (No, I am not deliberately trying to make you feel old).

That's one of the few teams where each of the starting five was a great fan-favorite in his own right.

Was the immortal Hawthorne Wingo on that team, too?

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I ain't that old. Had a long lunch with him several years after he retired.

Earnhardt ... Senior and Junior. Senior was better.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

HaRthorne Wingo joined the team in midseason, replacing atrocious first-round draft pick Tom Riker.

As a group, that was the most media friendly team I've ever been around... meaning was I was spoiled for life at the ripe old age of 23.

11. John Force, Brandon Roy, Eddie Sutton.

12. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

My god ... three pages in and nobody's mentioned a guy by either of his names: Cassius Clay / Muhammad Ali

Spnited, we sure are the old dogs in this crowd!

Draft saved Draft deleted