1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best sports personality you've ever covered...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chazp, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Gus Frerotte
    Marcus Slaughter (San Diego State basketball)
    David Wells
    David Wells
    David Wells
    Khalil Greene
    Just about anyone in rodeo
    Kirk Morrison
    etc., etc.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It was tough coming up with just Carrigan. A few others are:

Pete Rose just after he got out of jail
    Michael Johnson
    Carl Lewis
    Woody Harrelson (after the Midsummer Night's Magic All Star Game, in the locker room he was trying to get a card game going while answering a few of my questions. I asked him if I could come play and he said he'd love to have me there but a few of the players wanted it to be players/celebs-only)
    Evander Holyfield on Jamaican Election Day '98 (1 on 1 interview at 7:30 a.m., right after I interviewed Jimmy Carter)
    Boog Powell (he farted at the lunch table and nearly made me gag)
    Willie McGinest
    Ed O'Bannon when he played at Artesia
    a bunch of local kids here

3. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I said Picabo Street earlier, but I should really add Buck O'Neill. It's not so much an interview with Buck. It's a starter question and then, two hours later, a "thank you very much."

Remarkable man ... and might I just plug JoPoz's book on Buck.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Buck O'Neill was one I always wanted to cover but never even had a chance to talk to. Great call there.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Hockey Division: Shanahan is up there. Larionov. D Alfredsson.

YHS, etc

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Never covered Buck, but did get to talk to him. Outstanding addition to this list.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

beg to differ. bill's an intriguing guy to cover -- a bully who can be charming and disarming, engaging and intimidating, a marvelous storyteller with great humor. if you let him see that you can't be intimidated and write tough but fairly, you'll do fine with him.

and a more compelling subject you'll never find. he's the tony soprano of coaching figures.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

It's been touched on already, but this could mean most interesting or most accommodating, so I'll go in numerous directions:

Lorena Ochoa (a class, class act)
    Mark Calcavecchia (was at a media day I once covered and we didn't stop laughing for 30 minutes)
    Another vote for Brendan Shanahan
    Gary Roberts
    Former King John McIntyre
    Duffy Waldorf
    A HS football coach I covered that New Mexico folks will know: Eric Roanhaus of Clovis High. An absolute riot who introducted the immortal term "brokedick sportswriters" to a young, fish-out-of-water writer.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I've dealt with Michael a lot and found him to be arrogant and condescending, and usually in a foul mood (many times, even after he had just won a race). He's usually good for some interesting and opinionated quotes, but I rarely enjoyed talking to him. Plus, unlike Maurice Greene, who would give his cell number to practically anyone, Michael makes you jump through various hoops to get to him if you don't catch him at a meet.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Bill Yoast, who was the white coach in Remember the Titans is a fantastic human being. Just an awesome, awesome guy.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Pete Carrill
    Dave DeBusschere
    Goose Gossage

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Holy shit, you really are old! ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted