1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Sports Movie that doesn't end with a big game/fight/match whatever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Refresh my memory. Is that the one where Al does a Lou Gehrig speech imitation, with a "Today .. today ... today..." thing, where he also tells his family, "I hate you all?" Or am I thinking of a different episode?

cyclingwriter2 and Smallpotatoes like this.
  2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

"Now playing right field for the New Market Mallers, Sven Hunkstrom!"

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it's the same one. Another great episode -- Al vs Bubba Smith in the hallway.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Same episode. There are some very clever references. Al talks about coming out of the the shoe fields to win mvp, and of course ends up as a shoeless Joe type. The play on the word Mallers as the team name.

The bubba smith episode had a great line that went something like;
    "Did they call him spare tire because he was fat?"
    "No, son, because he wore chain with a spare tire on it around his neck."

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

That was a great line. Also great, when they compared socks.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, there was that rollicking Rock Hudson-Paula Prentiss classic.

[​IMG]

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Does "A River Runs Through It" count?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Eight Men Out, of course, is partially based on the real story of the Black Sox.

I think the movie implies (I haven't seen it for a couple years so I might be off) that the scandal broke over the 1919-20 offseason.

In reality the scandal broke very late in the 1920 season, as the White Sox came down the stretch in a very tight pennant race with Cleveland and the Yankees -- and might have had a chance to dump another series.

I believe Chick Gandil sat out 1920 in a contract dispute with Comiskey, but otherwise all the suspected fixers kept playing until the lid blew off the next September.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Presumptive leader in the non-ball sports category. Someone mentioned A Perfect Storm and if you base it on the notion it's fishing, you still have account for it being commercial fishing. I don't think it qualifies.

This thread has me thinking I need to rewatch The Slugger's Wife.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Field of Dreams or Bull Durham, and it's probably not particularly close (I haven't seen some of the other films mentioned here).

The Hurricane was very good, though it's more of a crime drama with a sports-related protagonist than it is a sports movie.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I'll put North Dallas Forty up against any.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The Sandlot?

Draft saved Draft deleted