1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Sports Movie that doesn't end with a big game/fight/match whatever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Probably not, unless drowning is a sport.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Ooh, that's COLD! Made me LOL too. Yet another sign I am going to hell.

Batman likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pride of the Yankees.

ejyankee likes this.
  4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

In the late-60s Emile Griffith and Nino Benvenuti had three blood-and-guts title fights in less than a year, all great scraps, all went the distance, Benvenuti won two, Griffith one. Griffith - who I got really drunk with one night in Buffalo when he was working a Top Rank card with Riddick Bowe - was the godfather of one of Benvenuti's sons.

Batman likes this.
  5. ejyankee

ejyankee New Member

Draft Day

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Was there a Director's Cut I missed on that movie? I could have sworn it pretty much ended with Cantrell getting HBP, driving in the winning run in the league championship game.

7. Vombatus

Breaking Away (???)

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Sudden Death.
    Technically not a sports movie, but the hockey game is integral to the plot. It's also over, or forgotten about, or something, long before the final fight scene.
    Speaking of which, how would a league handle that type of situation? Game 7 of the finals, in overtime, and a terrorist attack disrupts the game before its conclusion? Not only that, but it's discovered after the fact that one of the goalies was replaced by an impostor for a key stretch of the game?
    Would they replay it from scratch? Start wherever the game was disrupted? Declare no champion out of respect for the wounded and dead?

Rainman likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Depends on the bookies and the spread.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Doesn't Stud marry Dixie at the end? Still, the game is close enough to the end that I don't think it qualifies. Also, count me among those who would love to find a copy of Long Gone.

Even if you want to say the end of the perfect game isn't really the end of For Love of the Game, no fucking way that qualifies as a great movie, not with all of the idiotic changes from the book.

I think Bull Durham is the winner in this one.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember Stud and Dixie getting married along with the rookie second baseman getting hitched to the girl he knocked up, but I looked at that as an epilogue more than anything.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Has anyone mentioned A League of Their Own?
    There's a big game at the end, but then there's also a good bit of wrap-up after that including the final scene at the Hall of Fame.

Draft saved Draft deleted