1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Sports Movie that doesn't end with a big game/fight/match whatever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 3, 2016.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

That triology might be the craziest thing that happened in sports in my lifetime. How each of those fights lived up to the last one, I'll have no idea. And that they become good friends makes it all the crazier. I went out for dinner with those two one night, and they spent most of it cataloguing the permanent damage they'd done to each other. Golfing the next day, Micky couldn't follow his tee shots and he said it was because Gatti had messed up his eyesight so bad. Gatti had a weird lump in his stomach that he said was from Micky. They really beat the hell out of each other.

MisterCreosote likes this.
  2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

In For of the Game, the "big game" (regular season finale) is the whole movie. His accomplishment (el perfecto) is what makes it memorable.
    In We Are Marshall - it's not a championship or playoff game - it's just a regular season game. Nothing big about except for the fact they won.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It could be argued for Marshall that every game was a playoff game for them, since they had lost nearly their entire team the year before.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Long Gone

fossywriter8 and ChrisLong like this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I love when great athletes can keep it professional like that, and realize that the physicality and brutality of their sport is just part of the job. Boxers and MMA guys seem to both be really good at that, which I guess they have to be. You train for two months and spend an hour in the ring trying to knock the other guy unconscious, and then when it's all over you give them a hug and props for the black eye and busted nose they gave you in the fifth round because you were too slow, made a mistake, and they caught you with a good punch.
    Hugs at the end of a boxing match and the handshake lines at the end of NHL playoff series both give me warm fuzzies.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Tried from time to time to find a copy of this, unsuccessfully. I know I taped if off the TV when it was going, but I think loaned the tape to a co-worker who never returned it and I can't remember who that was.
    Every time my wife and kid rave about Grissom (CSI LV), I come back with Stud Cantrell -- fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

fossywriter8 likes this.
  7. El Guapo

El Guapo New Member

The Sandlot.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I can't think of a single fishing movie aside from Moby Dick.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Perfect Storm
    The Old Man and the Sea
    Bait Shop

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Brewster's Millions. There is about 15 minutes remaining after the game with the Yankees.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was thinking of The Perfect Storm.

Would any of those be considered a sports movie though?

Draft saved Draft deleted