1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Sports Journalism College in California

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kweonsam, Aug 6, 2014.

1. kweonsam

kweonsam New Member

Considering how big California is, there isn't many colleges for Sports Journalism...

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

UCLA, USC and Cal aren't good enough for you? Cal's program may only be graduate, I'm not sure.

Pepperdine and UCI also have good J-schools. There's also a little school called Stanford. SF State is another good one. Cal State Northridge has a good program, Fullerton is good. San Jose State is highly underrated and San Diego State isn't bad either.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but there are 11 choices for you. I'm not sure I would recommend paying whatever it costs these days to pay for Stanford, USC or Pepperdine for a J-school degree, but there are still plenty of options.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

How about for copy editing?

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Nitpicking, but Fullerton doesn't have an official journalism degree program. They offer a "journalism concentration" under their communications program.

There "isn't" any colleges in California that offer sports journalism degrees, but there are plenty of journalism programs.

http://www.collegemediamatters.com/best-u-s-journalism-schools-programs-complete-listing/

You know what you should think about before you take on journalism? Mastering how to make a Google search to answer simple questions.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Here's part of your problem: Your search is too specific. Think journalism, and being a well-rounded reporter first.

You never know when you might be drafted to cover some sort of calamity, like a major storm or a big wreck, especially with newsrooms getting smaller and smaller. Knowing how to ask more than why the coach went with a certain play on third-and-long is essential, as well as being able to think beyond the gamer. I started in sports, went over to the news desk for about 10 years before getting back into it and am convinced that move helped my reporting, writing and editing skills.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Sam Houston Institute of Technology does well with that.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Their B.S. degrees are the best in the country.

Draft saved Draft deleted