1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Sports Chants

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Feb 26, 2009.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

My high school boys basketball team is considered a traditional powerhouse in the big-school class here in Iowa. What many did not know is that the fans at my high school knew the names of about damn near every referee that has officiated our home games.

In one game, the zebras let a travelling violation skip by for the visiting team.

Our fans broke out this beauty:

"Get a rope, get a tree, hang that referee!" Needless to say, the refs were not too thrilled hearing that all night.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Please tell me the ref wasn't black ...

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I'm vainly hoping that Ed Hightower didn't ref the game D3 is referring to.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've always liked "Paul Scholes, he scores goals" set to "Kumbaya, My Lord."

And, of course, "Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs, running down the wing."

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Hell, I've heard Mississippi Valley State's pep band chant that after getting bounced from the SWAC torunament.

6. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Former Georgia Tech cheer (have not heard in a while):
    Differential X!
    Differential Y!
    A squared! B squared!
    Integral to pi!

Or, at a former boss' school, when his HS alma mater was playing a rival where one Patrick Ewing Jr. went ... and this was right after the federal trial that brought one of Atlanta's most noted gentleman's clubs to a close ...
    "Gold Club! Gold Club! Gold Club!"

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's Iowa. I doubt it.

8. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

University division:
    Fuck 'em up
    Fuck 'em up
    Fuck 'em up S-U.
    We're gonna kick the shit outta you!

College division:
    You wear pur-ple!
    -- Middlebury College to St. Thomas in the 2005 D3 finals. Middlebury won.

English soccer division:
    You can't read
    You can't write
    But that don't really matter
    'Cause you're a Swindon football fan
    And you can drive a tractor!

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The refs were white. My school is spilt evenly of black and white students, which made it one of the most diverse HS in the state.

All of them were chanting it. Including the parents.

Armchair, that's why I love Waterloo!

We always have to do things that resemble the movie "Wildcats". Our cheerleaders don't do the typical cheer. In fact, they like to talk crazy at the opposing team players.

10. KP

KP Active Member

Start of 01-02 season when Tim O'Shea took over for Larry Hunter, so really got going in Jan. 02 when students returned.

11. KP

KP Active Member

Kent read
    Kent write
    Kent State!

Wright State
    Wrong school

J-Crew U for the trips to the trip to Oxford

Go Habs Go, bonus points for in the forum

Hex-tall

Pa-trick

Darryl was mentioned already

Covered a state soccer final a couple years ago between a Catholic school and a regional public school called Algonquin (Tomahawks was the nickname, PC be damned). The Catholic kids were chanting "Thanks for Foxwoods"

'99 ALCS Game 3; Sox bounce Clemens early bleachers are chanting "Where is Roger"; other sections were chanting "in the showers"

No love for J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets? Up here its Suck Suck Suck.

12. ddavis1192

ddavis1192 New Member

At my (FHC) Highschool Hockey State championship last tuesday, we played against an all boys private school (CBC). We had tons and tons of great chants. Last year CBC lost to Desmet in the state championship 6-5 in overtime. Well in this game we were up 7-3, so with 1 minute left all of our fans chant "Worst than last year, clap, clap, clap clap clap" 3 times. Then we got the "U wear purple" chant going. But the best one was probably when we sang, "If your winning and you know it clap your hands (clap, clap), If your winning and you know it clap your hands (clap, clap), If ur winning and you know it and u really wanna show it, if ur winning and u know it clap ur hands (clap, clap)." Then we said, "If your losing and you know it clap your hands (Thats You!), If your losing and you know it clap your hands (Thats You!), If ur losing and u know it, and u really wanna show it, If ur losing and u know it clap ur hands (That's You!)."

Draft saved Draft deleted