1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best sports blogs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Chris Iott, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Chris Iott

Chris Iott New Member

A lot of sports writers are blogging, but sometimes I think they're blogging for the sake of blogging. I see a million blogs with no comments or responses. If people aren't reading the things, what's the point?

We have a handful of blogs going at our paper. I've spent a lot of time looking at blogs in an attempt to find some really good ones in hopes of stealing some ideas to make ours better. I've seen a lot more bad ones than good ones.

My question: What are the best sports blogs out there? What makes them so great? If possible, please focus on blogs at small or mid-sized dailies. Doesn't help me and my staff of five to point me toward ESPN's site. Thanks.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Fixed.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No way this ends well.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

That describes my situation perfectly.

5. dustin_long

dustin_long New Member

Here's a few. As an Indiana University grad, I enjoy reading Terry Hutchens' blog on IU athletics for the Indianapolis Star. Hutchens discusses numerous items in his blogs and does it in a conversational manner. He also tells me things in his blog that he can't get in his story or can't get into as much depth. That's part of what a blog should do -- don't repeat what you've written in print but go into greater detail on something or tell me something new. Hopefully, some people think I do that with my NASCAR blog. On the NASCAR beat, David Poole of The Charlotte Observer does a nice job. I like how he can take a look at the big picture and put it into perspective. I also enjoy reading Shawn Courchesne's racing blog for the Hartford Courant. Shawn doesn't hold back. His attitude comes through and some of his blogs will make you react one way or the other and that keeps me coming back. One other blog I enjoy is Kellis Robinett's musings in the Idaho State Journal (I used to work there) about Idaho State athletics. Again, he's similar to Hutchens in that he goes into greater detail on things and tells me more than he can in his articles.

6. Chris Iott

Chris Iott New Member

Yeah, I totally get that. Management hears that blogs are our future, so they tell everyone to blog and then never bother to check to see whether the blogs are any good or whether anyone is reading them. That is all too common.

I've been reading a bunch of them from other papers in hopes of seeing some good ones so we can improve. I'm just having a hard time finding many that I would call successful.

dustin_long, thanks for your post. I'll check those out.

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

And then you run into the issue of a sports blog that attracts a ton of traffic and comments, mainly because it is focused on a pro team where the fans are eager to read about anything and every transaction down to the new trainers, yet the blog is poorly written, isn't well-reported and fails to convey complete thoughts. It's interesting to view the measuring stick that us as journalists have for a successful blog versus what the average joe fan thinks is a successful blog.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Joe Posnanski's blog. I'll paraphrase IJAG and say he puts more effort into his blog posts than a lot of writers put into their stories/columns.

9. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Yeah, JoePa's blog stuff is great.

One of these days, someone at a newspaper will realize he/she should hire actual successful bloggers.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Best blog in the business:

http://www.1530homer.com/pages/ctrent.html

Formerly of the Cincy Post (RIP :'(), Rosecrans (and his wildly successful blog) moved over to a radio station after that paper went defunct. He's got a huge audience, and it's not just because he blogs about a wildly successful major league baseball team.

11. Xodus

Xodus Member

I'm not sure if this is the type of blog you're looking for but I think the LA Times Lakers Blog is one of the best blogs out there.

lakersblog.latimes.com

12. onetwo88

onetwo88 Member

This site and page aren't 'blogs' but this is the most useful NBA page on the web:

http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumors.shtml

Draft saved Draft deleted