1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

best sports biographies

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SheaSeals, May 30, 2007.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Well-Paid Slave and Koufax are the obvious choices. Halberstam's Red Sox book (Williams, Doerr, etc) is not a conventional bio but close enuf to count.

YHS, etc

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Go back a little farther, to 2000, and you get Richard Ben Cramer's Dimaggio.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I agree. It's hard to get over the image of Namath sitting at a bar, alone and competely depressed.

Two more...

When Pride Still Mattered: A Life Of Vince Lombardi by David Maraniss

Cobb by Al Stump

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

While it certainly can 't be considered one of the best by any means, I recommend "Fatso: Football When Men Were Really Men" by Art Donovan. It seems to be mostly about Donovan's love of cold cuts and beer, but I remember finding it a really fun read.

5. Not sure why, but I had a tough time getting past the first few chapters. I'm sure those are the slowest of the book, but I might never know.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

[​IMG]

Let me preface this by saying: I don't like the Red Sox.
    But, this is an amazing biography and story of an amazing man.
    Worth the time of anyone. Montville extensively interviewed hordes of Williams contemporaries, and we all know how quickly that generation of Americans is disappearing. If you can handle swear words in your reading, I highly recommend.

7. sportsed

sportsed Member

Gotta add Bill Nack's latest, Ruffian: A Race Track Romance.

Though you won't be able to put this on your list of biographies from the past five years, add this one to your bookshelf if you haven't already: Secretariat: The Making of a Champion. It's a classic.

I've had the pleasure of working with Bill on a handful of projects. He is, without question, a pro's pro.

8. sportsed

sportsed Member

Oh, one more: Adrian Wojnarowski's The Miracle of St. Anthony, about high school coach Bob Hurley, is a damn good piece of journalism.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Searching for Bobby Orr by Stephen Brunt.

10. Jones

Jones Active Member

Whoopsie.

I blame the misleading headline. And my poor comprehension skills.

But now that this thing's gone off-field, I second the plug for Searching for Bobby Orr. Stephen Brunt is a very good writer always, but he especially nailed this one.

He's also an excellent guy, one of my favorites in the business.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Haven't read those books but Nack's SI story on Secretariat is the best sports story I've ever read.

12. Curt Flood was by Brad Snyder, former Baltimore Sun reporter turned Yale law student turned biglaw attorney turned full-time author, all by about age 35.

Draft saved Draft deleted