1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best source for presidential election news?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, May 5, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned on the Obama race thread in Sports & News that the NYT is disappointment when it comes to domestic political coverage, particularly when compared to their foreign coverage, which is excellent.

Thoughts on the NYT's coverage of the campaign? Should it be one's go-to source for campaign news going forward? If not, what is a superior source? The Washington Post? Politico? I'm curious, because I'd personally want to find the source that keeps me best informed via both depth of intelligent analysis but also comprehensiveness of coverage.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dick, here's a suggestion. Try dabbling in political science blogs, written by scholars who give a much different perspective, and I think better perspective, than the campaign hurly-burly coverage. Try www.plainblogaboutpolitics.com, by a guy named Jonathan Bernstein. Very good stuff.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

From what I've seen so far, the Guardian's coverage has been pretty good. They're making a real effort to break into the U.S., and the presidential election coverage is a leading edge of that move.

4. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

What type of analysis are you looking for? Thoughtful policy discussion? Blow-by-blow on the campaign trail?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Both. Plus, what Michael Gee suggested - Nate Silver-on-steroids political/electoral science info.

6. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Another political science take: http://blogs.middlebury.edu/presidentialpower/

For substance, the best option probably is seeking out the experts in whatever topic you're interested in--in economic, for instance, bright people across the political spectrum blog on all sorts of economic policy issues.

I assume Politico does a good job with the tick-tock campaign analysis, but I can't say for sure--I don't follow it, assuming I'll see it filtered elsewhere if it's important (on the Daily Dish, TPM, etc.). I still believe the NYT does a good job on big-picture campaign and political issues, though.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Usually in your local student newspaper.

But honestly, I wouldn't use a go-to place 100 percent of the time. Just use a few. Like you said, NYT, WaPo, Politico should all give you healthy variety of voices.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Real Clear Politics is the runaway winner for me. Silver's blog is still good, but it seems to have lost its edge since the NYT bought it. It's still a good read, but it was better four years ago.

9. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Washington Monthly's website and New York Magazine.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've heard that googling the name of the republican runner-up usually takes you to some good political coverage. :D

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

phonesexhoneys.com.

12. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

False.

Save Silver's blog on NYT, none of those places are worth a shit, with Politico actually making you dumber if you read it.

Draft saved Draft deleted