1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best smart phone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportshack06, Nov 28, 2007.

1. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Looking for some help here...

I'm on Verizon and my contract expires in a matter of weeks, so trying to do some research in advance.

In the market for a smartphone and wondering which direction I should go. Pretty much picking between Blackberry or an iPhone. (Obviously, this means I would consider a switch to AT&T).

Anyone have any reviews of the Blackberry on Verizon? or a personal review of the iPhone? Mainly interested in GMail, web browsing as the extras. Also, how do the Blackberry's perform with AT&T? I know they have a bigger selection of them from AT&T, but I've seen a ton of bitching from iPhone users about the lack of 3G browsing.

Thanks for any help.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

A.) I hate AT&T. They could offer me a free iPhone and I'd still leave their asses on Dec. 23 when my contract runs out.

B.) I've heard good things about the Blackberry Pearl (Blackberry Curve for AT&T).

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

This thread is sort of a D_B. :D

(But you don't have enough privileges to know that, so it's not your fault. And where's my beer, BTW?)

4. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

True, did do some searches, but most of the results were from June/July.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

It's a current thread, but I posted it in the subscribers' forum.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I thought this was the only Smart phone
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

I missed it by that much...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. John

John Well-Known Member

As I posted on the other thread, I've had a Blackberry Pearl (AT&T) for nearly a year and I love it. I bought it through wirefly.com and through rebates I got it for free.

It's not quite as easy to type on as the larger Blackberrys, but it's a lot smaller and I'll take that trade-off.

AT&T's service has been no better or worse than any of the other carriers I've used.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

John,

How do I buy a phone without a contract? Like I know I can buy one through AT&T, but how do I get one from Wirefly and then have AT&T activate it without having to re-up with them? Because if I can do that, and get a free phone and not have to re-up a contract so I can leave at any point, that might be an option until I have more money.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I doubt AT&T will activate it for you without a contract extension.

You might try eBay or Overstock.com and look for unlocked phones, which means they aren't tied in with a particular carrier.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Unlocked-Cell-Phones/3012/subcat.html

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

OK...so if I find one...how do I make it work? I mean how do I program it to get my number? That's what I don't get about "unlocked"

12. John

John Well-Known Member

You've got to sign up with a carrier. I don't believe there is any way around that.

Draft saved Draft deleted