1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best single episode in TV history

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Oct 17, 2012.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

One "Cheers" episode that hasn't been mentioned is Woody and Kelly's wedding. An absolute riot.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sopranos finale

Liza with a 'Z' 1972

Elvis Comeback Special 1968

Carol Burnett Show, season 10, episode 8, 'Gone With the Wind'

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If we're talking Simpsons episodes, then Last Exit to Springfield has to be right near the top. Perhaps the best one from the time when they were at the very top of their game.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"The Chinese Restaurant" might be the Seinfeld episode that best exemplifies what I was talking about in the comedy section of my rant. It's a step away from convention and as big a risk as the show ever took up until that awful series finale. That said, I don't think it was funny enough. That's the problem: Seinfeld's basic conventions worked so well there was no reason to step away from them, but that makes it impossible to declare one episode the clear best the show made.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Simpsons Cape Fear spoof (not sure of actual title) would be close to the top of my comedy list.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Cape Feare: "Uh, before you kill me can you sing the score from HMS Pinafore?" "Very well, I will take you to heaven before sending you to hell."

Love that episode, same with the Goodfellas spoof when Bart goes to work for Fat Tony.

7. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Sports Night "The Apology" was always one of my favs

Many from "The West Wing" already mentioned, but I'd like to add "In Excelsis Deo"

Also, "Friday Night Lights" series finale seemed pretty perfect to me.

8. Too lazy to look up, but wasn't the Chinese Restaurant the first episode?

Trying to pick the best comedy episode is impossible. I have probably a dozen Seinfeld episodes (The Soup Nazi, Kenny Rogers Roasters, Kramer's retirement, Festivus, etc. etc., etc.). A half-dozen Cheeers and Simpsons episodes, an Andy Griffith episode or two, Arrested Development and Lord knows what else.

Impossible.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No evil, The Chinese Restaurant was a from Season 2, probably about No. 15 overall (Season 1 was only 6 episodes).

Seinfeld — "The Mom and Pop Store": The ultimate New York TV show parodies a pantheon New York movie (Midnight Cowboy). Also gave the world Bryan Cranston in his first appearance as Dr. Tim Whatley.

The Simpsons — "Last Exit to Springfield": Dental plan! Lisa needs braces. Dental plan! Lisa needs braces.

The Wire — "Cleaning Up": Where's Wallace? However, "Final Grades," the last episode of Season 4, in which the four school kids are swallowed back up by the system, might be the most heartbreaking.

The West Wing — "In Excelsis Deo": Toby arranges a funeral for a homeless Korean War veteran. Lots of other heart-tugging Christmas-y touches as well, including the story about Mrs. Landingham's sons.

Breaking Bad — "Face Off": Maybe the most intense final 15 minutes of television ever.

Mad Men — "The Suitcase": If for no other reason than the "That's what the money is for!" scene between Don and Peggy. Bonus points for using the first Clay-Liston fight to perfectly illustrate the generation gap.

The Sopranos — "College": As much as we might think sometimes Tony is a lovable, entertaining oaf who is trying to give his kids a better life than he had, he's still a monster.

Deadwood — "E.B. Was Left Out": Because of Al's "pain and suffering" speech.

10. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Mad Men - "Signal 30", especially the last ten minutes of the episode.

With Lane beating up Pete...

...and Pete becoming the subject of one of Ken Cosgrove/Dave Algonquin's short stories.

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

Great thread...thanks for this. Here's a few choices:

West Wing -- Two Cathedrals.

The X-Files -- Closure. Mulder finally learns the fate of his sister, Samantha, with a haunting song by Moby, a song also used in Any Given Sunday, to close it.

Midight Caller -- The episode when Jack's former lover returns, then reveals she is dying of aids.

Thirtysomething -- The scene when Peter Horton's character, Gary, dies.

Lost -- Series finale.

MASH-- Henry Blake's swan song.

12. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Already mentioned but my favorite Seinfeld was the marble rye episode.

Also mentioned, Mad Men "The Suitcase."

Beats me what the episode was or what else happened but Homicide, Life in the Streets, showing Pembleton immediately after his stroke.

Draft saved Draft deleted