1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best single episode in TV history

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

"As god as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

From the animated comedy division, Futurama had several.
    "Parasites Lost" is simply awesome. Fry eats a worm-infested sandwich and the crew shrinks down to microscopic size to root them out of his colon. Not only was it a nicely done parody of "Fantastic Voyage," there were tons of great one-liners zipping around in just about every scene. Easily one of the best episodes of a great series.
    "The Problem with Popplers" was in the same vein. Lots of great one-liners that just keep you rolling from start to finish.

There were also two outstanding "serious" episodes. "Jurassic Bark" is a well known board favorite. "Godfellas" was a surprisngly deep take on religion that doesn't really hit you how philosophical it is until the final few scenes.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Two Cathedrals, The West Wing.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ruckus. Now I won't be able to click on this thread without wanting to hug my dog.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

For comedy, I nominate "The Puffy Shirt" Seinfeld episode.
    For serious, "Love's Labor Lost" is a good one. I can't remember exact episode names but NYPD Blue episodes where Sipowicz dealt with heartbreak were powerful, like Bobby dying or Andy Jr. dying. There were also some standout episodes of Third Watch.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I came on to mention "The Shield" finale, but there were a whole bunch of other episodes worth mentioning. The one before the finale and the season five finale, when something major happens that I won't mention because I don't want to spoil it. And yes, the Armadillo episode was a good one, too.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'The Contest' and 'The Betrayal' are among the best overall episodes for any comedy, and 'The Chinese Restaurant.'
    But they aren't as jokey as some other episodes.

Either 'The Strike' or 'The Serenity Now' is my personal favorite.
    I love the Elaine subplot in 'The Serenity Now' when she develops 'shiksappeal.'
    Great Elaine moment: Right now every able-bodied Israelite in the tri-county area's driving pretty hard to the hoop.

9. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Seinfeld episodes are tough because there tends to be so much happening in each one. But I agree on Puffy Shirt ... it had a little of everything, but what made it work is lots of Frank and Estelle Costanza ... Frank with the whole silver-dollar thing in the restaurant, Estelle wanting George to take the civil service exam. And then he gets the hand-modeling job and we get this priceless exchange:

Estelle: Georgie ... do you want some jello?

Frank: Why did you put the bananas in there?

Estelle: GEORGE. LIKES. THE BANANAS!!!!!!

Frank: SO LET HIM HAVE THE BANANAS ON THE SIDE!!!!!!

George: Alright! Please, please! I cannot have this constant bickering! Stress is very damaging to the epidermis! Now, I have an important photo session in the morning - my hands have got to be in tip-top shape, so please - keep the television down, and the conversation to a minimum.

ESTELLE: But Georgie.. what about the jello?

GEORGE: I'll take it in my room.

10. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Surprised to find no Simpsons mentions over the first two pages. Homer at the Bat and 22 Short Films about Springfield are brilliant.

Another vote for Lost and The Constant. Hard to believe that aired almost five years ago.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

what does a yellow light mean?

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Stoney beat me to it, but in the sit-com division, it's hard to top WKRP's Thanksgiving episode.

In the stand-alone drama division, one that sticks out for me was the Law & Order season-ender where Lenny Briscoe fell off the wagon and Claire Kincaid was broadsided after pouring him home. The suddenness of it was just stunning.

Draft saved Draft deleted