1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best single episode in TV history

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Oct 17, 2012.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Unserialized: "Days Gone By', the pilot episode of the Walking Dead is definitely up there for me. A perfect introduction to the world the show created and an incredibly tense final few moments where Rick heads into Atlanta.

Serialized: The one that got me though was already mentioned here: 'The Constant' episode of Lost. The moment where he and Penny finally talk made the room a bit dusty I must say.

Comedy: The problem with this category is that some of the best episodes of the best comedies are the ones where there isn't a heavy-emphasis on jokes but moreso on plot developments. In this regard, it doesn't get much better for me than 'Niagra", the episode of the office where Pam and Jim get married. Perhaps I'd put the episode where Chandler proposes to Monica on Friends in that regard as well. But if you're talking the best as in funniest episode of a show? Probably "I dream of Jesus', the Family Guy episode with the 'Bird is the Word" simply because of how ridiculous it is. I also love the episode of South Park where Stan loses the ability to enjoy movies, music and whatnot because they all 'Sound like shit'. Both keep me rolling on repeat viewings.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Where the fuck do you guys find time to watch so much TV?

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

We are the 47 percent.

4. the fop

the fop Member

When I opened the thread, first thought was Love's Labor Lost. Strong that it's been mentioned twice already.

Also throw out The Sopranos' Long Term Parking, the sad end to the Ade/ Christopher storyline.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Comedy (could go down as drama, too, given the seriousness and that the episode was longer than a half-hour):
    M*A*S*H - "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen"

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There is a point in every great series where it finds itself. When it tells the viewer that this isn't just another show. The Love's Labor Lost is it for ER. The Cosby Show pilot when Cosby responds to a Theo line that draws an "awwww" from the audience with "That's the DUMBEST THING I've EVER HEARD! No wonder you're getting Ds!" took that show from TGIF level pap to all-time classic. The Shield delivered when Mackey killed the mole in the pilot.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

By the time it ended, 'MASH' hadn't been a comedy for seven years.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Which is the one with Burgess Meredith as the avid reader at the end of the world?

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

He Is Alive was the Hitler episode with Dennis Hopper, right?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Love's Labor Lost is a great call...

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

The first episode that popped in my head (serialized drama) was the season one finale of 24. I was absolutely shocked at the execution scene of Jack's wife. Shocked. I hung around that show for way too many seasons because of that one episode. Still remember where I was, who I was with and what I was drinking during that hour of television.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

The Strike! "No bagel no bagel no bagel no bagel no bagel ... SCAB! SCAB!"

Draft saved Draft deleted