1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best SID ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by longgone, Aug 27, 2008.

1. SEC: Claude Felton (UGa), Robbi Edwards (Arkansas), Kent Lowe (LSU), Kirk Sampson (Auburn), Barry Allen (Alabama), Fred Demarest (Florida), Craig Pinkerton (Tennessee), Bud Ford (Tennessee) ... are all tremendous

Big 12: Chris Cook (Texas Tech), Colin Killian (Texas A&M), Scott McConnell (Texas), the late Will Hancock (Oklahoma State) ... wish I still dealt with them

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

Eric Capper at North Texas makes the Sun Belt experience far more enjoyable, as does Jerry Scott at Arkansas State.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

You are correct, sir. Dave ran the Bills media relations department before moving to Washington. He then went to the Spurs for a brief time before moving to his present gig on the Champons Tour, where he and I spent much of February and March eating and drinking over three time zones in seven weeks.

One of the nicest, most professional media relations folks on the planet. Dave's good people.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

When Capper was the Big Sky head media relations guy, he took a bunch of us out to Gladstone's in Malibu when the hoops tourney was at Cal State Earthquake. Capper is the shit.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Wow. Gladstones? That is the bomb. :eek:

Of course, any of you fortunate enough to cover a golf tournament I'm working will eat rather well. Current Cal Poly Pomona SID Mark Reinhiller, Messr. Senko and about a good two dozen golf writers and other golf media from Hawaii to New York and Florida can attest to that. ;D

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

John Martin.

(looking to get a reaction from someone ...)

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Another vote for Claude Felton. (And should have known Birdie would drop Reino's name somewhere in here. One of the all-time good guys on the planet, you betcha. ;))

8. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

In my years covering the SEC I found that Claude Felton and Bud Ford weren't only good, but they were also surrounded by subordinates who could handle just about everything. Bud taking the visiting football media to Ye Olde Steak House in Knoxville -- an unbelievable treat. I also liked Rick Schaeffer, who used to run things at Arkansas. Would give anybody all the time in the world, and fill your notebook with tons of background material.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oh man. Kenny Klein is a good one.

Maybe he just looks good because some of his predecesors were horrid, but Indiana's current SID, J.D. Campbell, has been more excessible, and hell, media friendly, than any other IU SID I've ever dealt with, both pre- and post-Knight.

There are very few MVC SIDs that aren't good, I should add.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm excessible. I mean, I've slammed 12 PBRs on a Wednesday night. That's the definition of excessible.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

While I love Bruce Madej of Michigan like a brother I had to rescue from a bar one night because he had fallen asleep in the fetal position in a bar stool, Jim Schneider is a true pro. He hasn't worked in a while, since having a stroke. But Michigan hockey and baseball aren't the same without Schneids there (uh-huh....)
    And if you have a spare prayer, please make it for Schneids...

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I haven't had contact with a TON of SIDs, in no way qualified to judge "best ever". But in my circle (Big East, old Conference USA and forays into opponents' leagues) I've dealt with some great, helpful ones and some that if they were on fire, I'd wait for the next rest stop.

Among the best is a friend of mine, former Cincinnati and current Cleveland State SID Brian McCann. I never saw anyone work harder -- or more importantly, smarter -- at the job. He and Tom Hathaway earned their pay many times over during the Huggins years.

Poe gets props from me. She's much better than the old OSU guy, definitely. Someone mentioned Kenny Klein at L'ville... meh. Doesn't stick out as a bad guy, just never struck me as great, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted