1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best SID ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by longgone, Aug 27, 2008.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I think Housel is the guy I was referring to from Auburn.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

And I think the BYU quarterback was Steve Clements, brother of former Notre Dame quarterback Tom Clements, now a coach with the Packers.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Don't know where Nemeth cut his teeth, but Joe trained under the all-time best, the late Bob Hartley. I believe Bob had a photographic memory for names and faces. State's a little out of our area, but I did cover a few games there early in my career, and he never forgot who I was.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I always thought Phil Stanton was good too... :D ;D

Guess I'll now have to show up to Moddy's office with beer in hand.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Indeed.

Hey, the only reason Rod couldn't get the media guide out faster is because Price's recruits didn't usually get qualified until after media day. But seriously, Rod was an all-timer and so is the guy who does basketball there now, Craig Lawson, who replaced the similarly stellar Wes Werner.

No point in talking about the bad ones. We all know who they are.

6. Any list that doesn't include Louisville SID Kenny Klein is worthless. And a shout out to Shelley Poe at OSU (and formerly WVU) as well

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Kevin McKinney and Tim Harkins at Wyoming are outstanding. McKinney shakes hands with everyone upon arrival at the venue, even if they've been covering the Cowboys/girls for 30 years.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I didn't know the old one, Williford was already there when I started dealing with them, so I wouldn't know.

One of the associate SIDs at Oregon, Geoff Thurner, is another name I'd like to mention. In the land of Prefontaine, Thurner is the ultimate in cross country and track and field SIDs. Plus, if I couldn't get in touch with Williford in a pinch, Thurner was always willing to help me out.

Another Pac-10er, Ryan Borde, was at Washington for a while but headed down to Portland State recently. He worked on smaller programs - the softball and volleyball teams, namely - and was always more than happy to help those programs - top 25s, but sports that get overlooked - get pub without being too pushy about it. Welcomed media with open arms to both programs.

9. KP

KP Active Member

His scorebook is a must have in this office.

10. etsuwes

etsuwes Member

I'll second Bud Ford. He's just awesome. And John Painter and Craig Pinkerton on his staff are great people too.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Is the guy before Williford nicknamed Mud Duck? If so, he was one of the craziest mofo's I've ever run across.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That would be correct. Crazy is one of the more flattering descriptions I heard for "Mud Duck."

Senko's an old Bills guy, right? No wonder he's excellent!

Draft saved Draft deleted