1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best settings for Unsharp mask

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Jan 22, 2009.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I have been messing with the amount, radius and threshold for weeks now and haven't found a good set...

is there a standard that you feel works best. I was using 75%, 17.1, 21...but it comes off "comic booky" is the best way to say...

to those that use Photoshop for sharpening...any help on this wonderful Thursday night?

2. I don't tone my own photos anymore, but 150, 1.3, 3 is what I did.

3. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

For newsprint & Web, I start here: 200 %, 1.0, 1.0 -- I dial back the percentage to a lower number if it looks too noisy ... I rarely mess with the other numbers unless I'm making a glossy print. Then I use a totally different method to sharpen...

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll mess around and see what I get

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Word.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Same as my shop's "universal photo desk" settings. And I dial back from the 200% too.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm so pissed at one of our professional photographers dudes with a camera who work at our paper that I'll just throw on whatever he throws in our lap, unfocusedness, poor shot selection and all.

Draft saved Draft deleted