1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best series finales

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GimpyScribe, May 16, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the Studio 60 finale .. or, at least, the finale up to this point (The 4 a.m. Miracle).

2. I completely disagree on The Wonder Years, and so would most of the cast. The network chose at the last minute to discontinue the show so the writers had to quickly cobble together a series finale.

From what I remember, the finale went like this: "This is what happed to Wayne, this is what happened to my hippy sister, this is what happened to my mother and my dad died."

Cheers was one of my favorite shows of all time but I can't remember what happened in the finale.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That post made me laugh harder than any on SJ in a long time.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Prisoner is not the best finale, but it's definitely the most fucked up.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damnit Simon Pube. Why must you remind me you like Freaks and Geeks as well?

I'd say that's my favorite series finale. The sight of Lindsay getting on that van is haunting. She's done something she can't undo. She's not an innocent kid anymore. Things will never be the same for that family. And yet...I'm glad it's left lingering. Of course it's left lingering because NBC Cleveland Steamed the show from start to finish.

I think Sopranos would have made the list if Sunday's episode was the finale. How great would that have been?

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Sam almost married Diane. Rebecca married Tom Berrenger. Norm reminded Sam that the bar was Sam's one true love. Final line -- "We're closed." Then Sam walked alone into the back room.

7. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Beltran frozen on strike 3 from Wainwright. [/BYH]

Oh, you meant TV series finales? :D

OK, Newhart blows everything away. Outstanding.

M*A*S*H sucked and epitomized why the show had gone downhill. In the early years, they entertained first, and let the messages come through naturally. By the end, it was all about putting the message first and the comedy/entertainment a distant decond. As someone said, I'll admit the Hawkeye/Margaret kiss was funny.

I didn't like the Cheers finale that much, just didn't connect with me for whatever reason. Maybe I wanted Sam to marry Diane, I don't know.

Write-brained makes a good point about Wonder Years. Even though the Daniel Stern narration was a major part of the show, that particular sequence seemed tacked on.

I liked The Odd Couple finale a lot. Tied everything in a neat, but somewhat plausible bow [it had been made clear that Gloria still cared about Felix as a person, she just thought he was a pain in the ass] and the final scene is actually funny.

8. Fixed.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh yeah!!!! :D

And Gutter's a doodoo head for not liking the Dawson's Creek finale. The finale was the only decent episode they aired in the last two years. That was an exceedingly well-done finale.

10. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Sorry about that, Write-brained and Gutter. You'd think I'd have the hang of figuring out the quote inside a post by now. I fixed it on the original post.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I'll throw in with those who say Cheers was great. My favorite part was whe Sam, just before going to the back, stopped to straighten the photo of the Indian on the back wall. On the 100th episode, they had a tribute to Coach that ended with a closeup of that photo. For Sam to adjust it as his last act before walking off was perfect, and a nice nod to Nicholas Colasanto.

Seinfeld was indeed horrible. Wonder Years was OK. Newhart's final shot, with Suzanne Pleshette in the bed, was an absolute masterstroke.

Alias was a nice end to a meandering final season, Gilmore Girls was a merciful end to a horrible final season, Sex and the City was boring.

On the late 1980s, early 1990s nerd front: Twin Peaks was okay and appropriately freaky, but the lack of resolution irritated me to no end.

And Star Trek: The Next Generation had a very good finale. Picard jaunting between time periods, then, realizing life is indeed short, joins the poker game for the first time at the end. The "Yeah, right" look Riker and Geordi shoot each other when Picard announces what a great card player he was in his youth was priceless.

For that matter, the Deep Space Nine finale was quite good, very fitting for the show's main themes regarding religion and such.

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Skipped page one?

Draft saved Draft deleted