1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best series finales

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GimpyScribe, May 16, 2007.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I always thought it was Newhart's.
    It was so completely unexpected and such a nod to his old show.

3. Beat me to it, ifilus. It's a long way to Tipperary. It's a long way to go.
    I hated the MASH finale. It had everything I hated about how the show softened up over the last eight years -- sensitive Hawkeye, BJ and his stupid kid, Mulcahy as a major character, and lines for Nurse Kellye. Ick.
    OTOH, I loved the ending they put on St. Elsewhere and I know people who hated it.
    Newhart deserves every nice thing said about it. I also liked the way they just panned out on Hill Street Blues, like you'd een with these folks for a few years and now you were leaving. Barney Miller had a nice, understated finale, as did The Odd Couple.

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

I still have the big button they gave out for the Cheers finale, when tens of thousands of people went down to SkyDome to watch it on the JumboTron.

I got in a big fight with my then-girlfriend that night. Then she blew me.

In other news, I must stop typing out loud.

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Forgot about another good one ... L.A. Law.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I thought the MASH finale was shit, the show had been shitting the bed for years before that.

Funny, I loved Cheers but all I can remember about the finale was the cast shitfaced on Leno that night.

F_B, great call on Barney Miller. Terrific end for a terrific show. Goodbye from the old 1-2.

7. casty33

casty33 Active Member

It's a long way to Tipperary, it's a long way to go ...

Loved it.

(But the line from the show that I still use is ... a little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down my pants from Chuckles the clown).

8. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Here are the ones Maxim says are the worst

http://www.maxim.com/articles/index.aspx?a_id=7562

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the others that enjoyed the West Wing finale, but thought it should have been two hours.

MASH was perfect for the show, but I can see the people who did not like the direction of the show toward the end not liking it. It is still my favorite finale. The long kiss goodbye between Hawkeye and Hot Lipps was classic. Perfect final moment together for those two characters, funny and sweet and just long enough. I can still picture the expression on Col. Potter's face.

HATED St. Elsewhere. I felt the "it was all in somebody's mind" idea was much more appropriate and effective in Newhart.

The Sci-Fi geek in me loves the finale of Star Trek: Deep Space 9. They wrapped a lot up, but it wasn't all neat and tidy. Very fitting for the show.

I enjoyed The Next Generation at the time, but that really wasn't the end with the movies.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Friends.

*ducking*

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

Cheers.

"I am the luckiest son of a bitch on the face of the earth."

12. Time to visit Interior Monologues 'R Us.

Draft saved Draft deleted