1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Selling Albums of '06

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Dec 4, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I was thinking the same things. Music sucks.

2. Just as an aside - I bet the CD sales are down so much because people now cherry pick songs via iTunes. I bet sales of individual songs are way up.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

No doubt that's something to do with it. But once you like a song or two by a certain artist, don't you typically buy the album? Lotsa one-hit wonders out there these days...and it's also interesting that the no. 1 artist of the year is someone from the most suffocatingly self-promoting show in the land. It's like people have to be promoted 24/7/365 just to sell 3.5 million CDs, a total which might not have earned an artist top 20 status 20 years ago.

I also think there's a lot of backlash against the RIAA, which continues to jack prices even though CDs are cheaper than ever to produce. I know that's why I only get CDs for presents or during giant out of business sales (thank you Tower Records!). The one exception this year has been Bob Seger, and it was a worthy exception.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I only see one reject here, and he's got a pic of a self-fellating polar bear in his sig.

5. Actually the bear isn't self-fellating - he can't. That's the whole joke!

I guess the only thing you like juvenile is your boyfriends.

6. sportschick

You're gonna have to try harder than that to insult me, Chris. The age of the men I date doesn't bother me. If it did, I wouldn't date them and I sure as fuck wouldn't post about it on a message board.

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

That's what I got.

P.S. KING is a great cd.

EDIT: I heard the Timberlake cd is pretty good as well.

8. I'm not trying to insult you but it sure seems you are posting about the youth of your "boy toy" on a message board.

Why so sensitive?

9. Seriously, Chris? This is remotely relevant to the thread ... how?

The guys she dates are at least 18. I'm fine with that. Moving on ...

I can't believe there are people outside Bob Seger's family that would buy Bob Seger's CD. All I can think about with that guy is schlock like "down on main street." And I love 80s music, byh. Almost as much as you.

10. sportschick

The Timberlake CD is very good. I've only bought about 10 CDs this year. That was one of them.

11. I don't know why its relevant either. That's why when she and Zeke went off on a riff on the subject it seemed so high-schoolish-can't-focus-for-five-minute-ish and I had to ask the MySpace question.

But now that you mention it - if you described a guy with the words "the girls he dates are at least 18" - wouldn't your first impression be that the guy in question was either creepy or desperate?

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

They still let Bob Seeger play music? Isn't that illegal?

Draft saved Draft deleted