1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best SEC coaches?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Aug 11, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

PGC

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

323 wins. Six NCs. 13 SEC titles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_W._Bryant

rb

3. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I'm not Satan lover, and I find it hard to disagree. But LSU was dreadful when Satan took over. What he managed there is easy to overlook, but he deserves credit for it.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If total college coaching histories (and not just SEC resumes) were taken into account, I'd probably put Meyer ahead of Satan Saban, doing a Mine That Bird along the rail and closing fast on Steve Superior.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Spurrier's at USC now? What happened to Pete Carroll?

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Saban, other than the national championship season, was very good but not great at LSU.
    2000 was an up-and-down rebuilding season.
    In 2001, he went 10-3 and won the SEC -- after about a hundred things broke exactly right to enable them to win the West. There were a half-dozen games in November that had to go a certain way for LSU to have a shot, and they all did.
    In 2002, the team tanked after Matt Mauck got hurt against Florida (finished 3-2 with two ugly losses and two miracle finishes that evened out).
    2003 was the good times.
    2004 was good but got screwed up by a total offensive no-show against Auburn.
    Saban's LSU teams were always in the hunt, yet also had brainfarts at certain times -- especially on defense, which he's supposedly the guru at. See the 2002 Arkansas game and the infamous Capital One Bowl in 2004.
    I haven't seen those kinds of screw-ups from Meyer's teams. I'd put Meyer over Saban any day of the week.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Is that supposed to impress us? :)

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I'm not even a fan, and it impresses me.

RB

Draft saved Draft deleted