1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Season Premieres so far?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Sep 24, 2007.

1. I thought the Grey's premier was horrible.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any more embarrassing than Meredith Grey living despite her hours-long underwater adventure after the ferry accident, now Izzie is defribbing deer in the fucking parking lot.

That might have been the most painfully embarrassing television moment in years.

As for the rest of the characters, they were their insufferable selves.

I would have changed the channel if Mrs. CrazyCat wasn't watching.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Well, it wasn't a mechanical deer on "the show", D-3, but it was so obviously a mechanical deer during the scenes that it was impossible not to laugh when it lifted up its head and mewed.

The problem with Grey's is threefold:

1. Shonda Rhimes has David E. Kelley disease. Private Practice is the worst thing that could have happened to Grey's. Not only is she running out of material for the one show that made her rich and famous, but now she has another show to drain her creativity and pull her focus away from Grey's. And she's like Kelley in another way as well: Her style, which seems fresh and clever in the beginning, wears on you after about 2 1/2 seasons. For a long time, it was interesting to hear these big dramatic speeches from the characters because the moments, emotionally, were earned. When Meredith gave her little "pick me, choose me, love me" speech, it was set up by a few episodes of her wigging out over Derek waffling between her and Addison. When Derek gave his little "I was drowning and you saved me" speech, and when he came to Meredith's house and talked about what kind of shampoo she wore after Coach Taylor died in the bomb explosion, that was earned. Even as a guy, I was like, ok, those moments work. But now those moments happen every episode. Every week, there is some big emotional "moment" that we're supposed to care about and it's insulting. Izzie's speech about "I'm Bambi and I'm in the woods all alone" was idiotic. It was total babble. It was bad writing. It didn't make a lick of sense, and the idea that Izzie and George would be distraut because they didn't talk for 17 days -- 17 days! -- was snort worthy. And the thing where the kid runs back into the room and does the three blinks to the dad was one of the most forced, cloying moments in the show's history.

2. Having Izzie and George hook up was lame. It revealed that the writers had run out of ideas. The episode where it happened was funny, because Heigel is great, but the whole thing where Izzie falls for George is absurd. It essentially revealed that the show was little more than sexual musical chairs.

3. For a show that started with so many strong female characters, it sure did destroy them in grand fashion. Their entire lives have become defined by the attention they get from men. Meredith has always been a self-involved flake, so we'll put her aside for a second. But look at Addison and Callie and Izzie. All three were driven and focused and career women who quickly became complete wrecks because of the men in their lives. Addison, who was probably smartest, most confident women on the show, became a total ditz who yearned for the affections of three idiots. Callie, once sassy and self-assured, is now a punchline who whines and pines for the attention of someone who clearly can't stand her. Izzie fell in love with a patient, killed him, then fell in love with a married guy and ruined his marriage and now seems to do medicine as an afterthought. She loves George so much that she can barely be bothered to give a damn about the fact that he flunked his boards, and only wants to know when he'll be ready to leave his almost-pregnant wife so that someone will pay attention to her again. This show is doing its best to set back feminism 30 years. And I fear it's like the Trojan horse, bringing the absurd message into the lives of 15 million women each week, disguised as a drama-dey.

I started watching it because my wife loves it and because I enjoy deconstructing television writing. And for awhile, I was pleasantly surprised. But now it's a parody.

The only consistent thing I enjoyed last night was the reveal that Lexi is as self-involved as Meredith. She's annoying and selfish as Meredith has always been. Stopping Meredith in the middle of a trauma to say, "hey, I'm your sister"? Exactly what Meredith would have done. At least the writers got that much right.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I had mixed emotions about Grey's last night.

The deer stuff was idiotic. Nobody thought to call a vet? And a deer would not have survived being the cause of an accident that caused the amuptation of a woman's arm and a man being internally decapitated.

I like Lexi Grey much more than Meredith Grey.

I like the idea of George and Izzie being together, but I'm sure the execution of it will suck.

That said, of the shows last night, I rank them...
    1. The Office
    2. CSI
    3. Grey's
    4. ER (I'm tired of seeing main characters in the hospital beds instead of treating people in them)

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

February. :mad:

5. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Put me in the Grey's was weak group. But anyone that thinks this show is stronger than 90210 in a hospital is kidding themselves. I mean honestly... Is it impossible that Christina will at some point date Kirev? Sloan?

Could Kirev be with Lexie? Izzy again?

It's eye candy and an amusing soap opera. I haven't missed an episode, but it's a guilty pleasure. The fact that this show gets nominated for Emmy's alongside 24, West Wing, Sopranos etc. blows my mind.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is Sara Ramirez pregnant, anyone know?

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't think Ramirez is preggers.

Also, if you did like Grey's (or even if you did not), check out SportsJournalists.com's favorite TV critic Alan Sepinwall, who exposes just how stupid the whole thing has become.

http://blog.nj.com/alltv/2007/09/greys_anatomy_this_is_absolute.html

8. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

DD's analysis was spot on. Very nice work.

But Jim Tom has the line of the thread: Grey's is 90210 in a hospital. That's a perfect way to describe it.

It's too bad. The first 1 1/2 seasons were excellent. I still contend that the post-Super Bowl time slot (Writers: "We've got to do something REALLY SPECTACULAR!") was the worst thing to ever happen to this show.

9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Evelyn Sanchez on Without a Trace is smokin' her own self.

10. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

See Mizz, I know what I am talking about sometimes ;D

Without A Trace was one of my favourite season premieres last night. With the Sudan theme. One of the best written episodes, but not much of Enrique Murciano last night. :'(

11. joe

joe Active Member

I haven't seen too many new shows, but that "Man Date" advertising shit ABC is running for "Cavemen" and "Carpool" guarantees I sure as fuck will never watch either. The asshole who thought up that campaign should be stoned to death. By me.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, after watching everything I'd taped, "Dirty Sexy Money" was still the runaway winner this week.

Draft saved Draft deleted