1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best scenes/skits - SNL history

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Anyone see the takeoff on the old Canon sure shot commercial from the 80s with Stevie Wonder and Joe Piscopo? Stevie Wonder is trying to hit a tennis ball was classic. Then Joe says, "Here Stevie, you try it" and Stevie takes pictures of the ground and the sky.

I've met so many SNL fans who've never seen that bit that sometimes I think it really didn't happen.

Oh, and I've got mention the Toonces skit with the aliens. "Quick -- get that cat to a typewriter!"

2. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

The stuff with Eddie Murphy back in the day was pure gold. Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood, Buckwheat is Dead, the Ebony and Ivory spoof with Piscopo, Gumby... The man was great on that show.

Others that jump out for me:
    Dead Honkey
    Cowbell
    Farley as a Chippendale's dancer
    Mike Myers as the Hyper Hypo kid who was tied to the jungle gym
    Dana Carvey as Church Lady talking about Madonna when Sean Penn was on as a guest
    Matt Foley, motivational speaker

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

When Kiefer Sutherland hosted SNL, it was at the very start of the 1992 presidential campaign and they had a skit that was the "Democratic debate to avoid being the guy who loses to Bush." It was when HW Bush's popularity was on a high and the sketch consisted of the Dem candidates badmouthing themselves to avoid the nomination.

Phil Hartman as Mario Cuomo was funny ("I ... have ... mob ... ties"), but Sutherland was really good as Lloyd Bentsen, using the "You're no Jack Kennedy" line on himself and his closing statement was "I'm old, and I'm only getting older. In fact, I probably couldn't tell you the names of half the people up here tonight. But I do know one thing -- George Bush would beat the bejeezus out of me."

Also on that show, which happened soon after Sutherland's marriage to Julia Roberts was called off at the last minute, he showed up for the monologue in a tux and said something along the lines of "I know this looks odd, but I've had this tux hanging in my closet for the past month and figured I'd get some use out of it."

4. The Phil Hartman-as-Reagan Iran-Contra sketch is my favorite SNL political moment of all time.

2) Hammond-as-Clinton post-impeachment. "I don't give a rat's ass."
    3) Jon Lovitz in Dukakis After Dark.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

haven't read the posts. just wanted to stop by and offer:

there's richard pryor/chevy chase's "dead honky" and then everything else. plenty of goodies to choose from. i'd probably take "schweddy balls" second. 8);D ;D 8)

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Another classic was Richard Pryor in the "Exorcist" skid with the bed being shaken by being lifted by wires. One of the hazards of live TV occurs as one of the bed posts lands on his foot and he's in pain yelling "The bed ... is on ... my foot!"

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Know I am missing a bunch....

Schwetty Balls
    Tim Meadows as OJ with the telestrator
    Julia Child
    Bass-O-Matic
    Little Chocolate Donuts
    Gilda as Patti Smith
    Jane, You ignorant slut
    Samurai Deli
    Swill
    "I'm a Dancer"
    Cowbell
    Madonna when she was at her hottest seducing Wayne and Garth
    Elvis Costello changing songs midway in
    Sinead tearing up the Pope
    Chippendales
    Matt Foley
    Clinton at MickeyD's
    Peyton Manning United Way commercial
    Lorne offering the Beatles $4,000
    Ebony and Ivory (you are blind as a bat, and I have sight)
    Dick in a Box
    Natalie Portman rap
    Reagan... Watt... Hu....
    Jim Belushi .... chess coach
    John Belushi... Joe Cocker
    Al Gore lingering on the West Wing set
    Ferrell as Goulet
    Ferrell cheerleading
    Lunchladyland.... Sandler and Farley with Sarah Silverman as Chop Suey
    Linda Richman with Madonna and Babs

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Joe Montana as the weird roommate.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Totally forgot about OJ and the telestrator. That was incredible.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Second on "Landshark". My friends and I used that all the time in high school.

I loved the fake ads. Two favourites:

"Colonel Lingus' Fried Chicken" (It's finger lickin' good).
    Bass-o-Matic

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

How about Consumer Probe sketches with Candice Bergen and Dan Ackroyd - Johnny Switchblade, Bag O'Glass, Invisible Pedestrian (a black rubber suit)... Classic.

12. Both Schweddy skits are great but that first one, with Ana Gasteyer and Molly Shannon somehow staying in character, is one of the marvels of all time.

Draft saved Draft deleted