1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best regional food/drinks thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 8, 2009.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Outing alert: Trey is Tobias Funke.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I used to go to the wine tasting at the BevMo near me on Saturdays. I loved that place.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Manhattan Special coffee soda.

hickory_smoke likes this.
  4. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

Speaking of New Orleans, Brocato's Italian ice cream/gelato.

5. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Julio's Tortilla Chips (San Angelo, Texas).

Available in a few parts of Texas, and they are more addictive than crack. http://www.julioschips.com/

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Not exactly on topic, but Wegman's subs are the best subs on the planet. Taste even better a day old.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Ski. It's a citrus-flavored soda similar to Mountain Dew, but with a lot more kick.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I just knew you were gonna mention Ale 8. My mom is originally from Kentucky, and when we used to make family trips up there, we'd take a couple cases of Barq's and swap 'em for a couple cases of Ale 8.

Ale 8 is especially good when mixed with Maker's Mark, to concoct what is known as a "Kentucky Speedball."

9. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

Sheetz.

Moved from Downtown in Feb. to the suburbs and now there is one about a mile from my house.
    Addicted to their made-to-order stuff.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Damn. I miss the MTO turkey subs.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Cheese curds -- Wisconsin

12. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

That's a good region to start. Obviously tons of great food in that area. Zapp's is one of my favorites.

Others that came to mind:

Hubig's Pies -- Little individually wrapped pastries that are pretty damn good. Available at select gas stations along the Gulf South. The closer to New Orleans you are, the better chance you have to find them. Chocolate and Lemon are personal favorites.

Bourque's Jalapeno Sausage Cheese Bread -- Located in the very small town of Port Barre, Louisiana and kind of off-the-beaten path. But if you're traveling along I-10 between Baton Rouge and Lafayette, it's worth the 15-20 minute detour. While you're there, pick up a bag of cracklins, too.

And along Steak's lines, if you're ever in New Orleans area, try to find some Zatarain's Root Beer. I don't think it's better than Barq's (because Barq's has bite!), but it's got a pretty unique taste.

Draft saved Draft deleted