1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best regional food/drinks thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Sling some knowledge.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Don't know if its a Ukranian thing, or a Canadian thing, but I've grown up the PIE-rogies. I went to a Polish school and my dad's side of the family is Polish, so it was pierogis, golobki (stuffed cabbage), potato pancakes and Kielbasa for most major holidays/events. There are a ton of such places where old Polish ladies will gladly make you homestyle food in Conn. Greenpoint, NY is also home to a lot of Poles.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Cooked cabbage, onions, spices, keilbasi and egg noodles.

This lady uses bacon, and I dont like to boil cabbage.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I really want to go to NYC and try this whatever it is.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This could be DBing myself, but it's been awhile and it's summer on the Cape, so, the lobster roll and french fries served at the market at the fish pier in Chatham, Mass. are the best on this vacation spot. Due to the closure of Northeast restaurants, retail lobster prices are at a many year low, too!

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Delta tamales
    Memphis dry rub

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

As many times as I've been in the Delta I've yet to have tamales. A failing, for sure.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I don't care how old the thread is, I love this.

I will echo the love for Maid-Rites. Don't live anywhere near one, and am on a quest for an accurate recipe to make them at home.

Will add to that a couple from my formative years in eastern Iowa - Hungry Hobo subs and Happy Joe's pizza. They make the best taco pizza and have a Canadian bacon and sauerkraut pizza that is insanely good.

For hot dogs, give me the humble frankfurters from Usingers in Milwaukee until the day I die. Beautiful snap, great texture and flavor, and you can buy them direct and have them shipped.

Patchen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted