1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best regional food/drinks thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Pirate's Cove is in their second post-Katrina location, this one more than a trailer which allows them to have fryers and all their french fries, shrimp, hushpuppies, etc. Chappy's is no more, but there are plenty of other great seafood places around here. I can get you a personal meal at my friend's, who's the gumbo/soup chef at Emeril's place in Gulfport, if nothing else.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Did McElroy's ever rebuild?

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I've never had poutine like the poutine I had in Montreal. Simply amazing. Most places that try it out west can't quite get it right, especially the fast food places. Either the fries get to soggy, or the cheese too stringy, or the gravey's too cold they screw it up somehow. I lived on the stuff my one week out in Montreal.

Someone else mentioned gravy on fries in Saskatchewan, you can get that anywhere in Canada. If you're at a sit down restraunt and you order fries, chances are they will ask if you want gravy on them.

For me, if we're talking about places that do certain things better than anywhere else if you're ever in Eastern Alberta -- particularly the community of Glendon -- you gotta have pyrogies. Huge Ukrainian settled region. The food is so important to the area that they created a statue of the World's Largest Pyrogy.

[​IMG]

My first stop was at a paper in a community 15 minutes away, I gained a whole new appreciation for Ukrainian food -- even won a pyrogy eating contest at Glendon's Pyrogy festival.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, but it's now across the bridge in Ocean Springs. They've got plans to build a new one in Biloxi as well, but not sure when.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My brother and I were talking last night and it got me thinking about this thread. Chico's Tacos (I know it's in El Paso, not sure about other locations) is a stay-away. How it got a reputation as a kick-ass taco joint is beyond me. It's nothing more than cheap-ass taquitos smothered in a terrible, gas-inducing salsa-type concoction.

Worst. "Tacos". Ever.

Sorry for the negativity. Just wanted to get that out before I forgot about it.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jack-in-the-Box has the worst taco ever. It's not even close.

But I still love them.

7. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

There have been many mornings in the past where I wondered where all the Jack in the Box monster taco wrappers came from. They now have something called "taco nachos" which is basically a monster taco cut into triangle-shaped pieces and covered with cheese sauce and lettuce. Avoid.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Isn't going to Boston for burritos kinda like going to Albuquerque for fish and chips?

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Beef, that's an awesome statue. And if the pirogies (Chicago spelling) are as good as you say, it's worth a trip up to Glendon to eat some. Pirogies are awesome!

10. 93Devil

Sweet Tebow, how I love pirogies.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=diners+drive+ins+and+dives&search_type=&aq=0&oq=diners+d

I think a little Guy Fieri is needed on the thread.

11. 93Devil

How many of you know what haluski is?

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oh the days. I'd eat 20-25 at a time. Those and the Ultimate Cheeseburger: lots of beef, cheese and ketchup.

The Trenton burger: A big, fat hamburger topped by a pork roll.

Draft saved Draft deleted