1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best regional food/drinks thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 8, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm hiring you as my personal tour guide. What else? :D

Crap, a google search shows the WHartford one closed. :(

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Steak and Shake is tasty. My money's on the mint-chocolate shakes.

But goddam, is it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced. That, and shoestring fries suck ass.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I love shoestring fries. They're less potatoes than they are a salt-delivery vehicle.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The dexterity required to pick up the fries is counterproductive, given the time and state of mind when I usually stagger into a Steak and Shake.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This is the service thread of the year, hands down.

More. More.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

CBS Sunday Morning today was all about food. Two of the places/items featured:

1. Mexican hot dogs from El Guero Canelo in Tucson

2. Pies from Royer’s Round Top Cafe in Round Top, Texas (between Houston and Austin)

Anybody ever had either?

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yes. Pies from the Round Top are freaking awesome. But, in no way, shape, form or fashion, are they better than pies from the Blue Bonnet Cafe in Marble Falls, TX.

8. Steak Snabler

Thanks, tbf. I'll be out at my Dad's in Rosenberg, Texas (extreme southwest Houston), between X-Mas and New Year's and was thinking about riding up to Round Top for a pie. Marble Falls might be too far, though.

9. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

I used to work in Rosenberg, that place is falling apart day by day though. Best food I ever had out there was from a guy who run a BBQ trailer out of the Blockbuster parking lot. He made a mean brisket sandwich.

10. Steak Snabler

Don't know when was the last time you were there, but that place is booming these days. Fort Bend County is one of the growing-est places in metro Houston (because southwest is about the only place left for the city to go), and will be even more so if they build another southern connector between I-45 and U.S. 59. It won't be too much longer before the urban sprawl extends damn near to Victoria.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I just want to be sure that everyone understands than when we are talking about dessert pies, any place you mention is competing for second behind the Norske Nook.

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

That's good to hear, Del. I wasn't sure if they had rebuilt after Katrina. Also, did Chappy's ever reopen? I always thought that was the best seafood restaurant on the Coast.

Draft saved Draft deleted