1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best regional food/drinks thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Good call, dre. Love me some ham BBQ sandwiches.

On a similar note, Uncle Charley's hot sausage is fantastic.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Despite me badly misspelling it there (it's changed now), I agree. Chipped Ham BBQ sandwiches and Pierogies Plus pierogies are always my first meal when I head back to Pittsburgh.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Seen it at a bunch of stores in SoCal, too.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Milo's Sweet Tea. Not sure where it originated from, but somewhere in the South. I miss it dearly. In fact, I'm pondering a trip back to Alabama for a few days next month. There's a 90 percent chance the opportunity to bring back a shitload of Milo's will sway me toward going.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

In addition to Vernor's, I'll add a couple more from Michigan.

Better Made Potato Chips

Faygo pop

Sanders cakes

6. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

This list is incomplete without Cheerwine.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Wegman's sell Sahlen's. Without a doubt the best dogs. Always have a pack of 20 in the freezer.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Vernor's is a product unto itself rather than being ginger ale, isn't it?

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I thought about that, but now it's not too hard to find it in the Southeast, and apparently there's a place in California bottling it. But the good Cheerwine (glass bottles, real sugar) is a harder thing to find.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If any of you don't have a BevMo nearby, you're missing out. Just about every beverage mentioned here -- no matter how regional -- is available a few miles from my door. I can get the aforementioned Vernor's and Faygo, plus other awesome stuff like Berghoff's root beer (Chicago) and Fitz's sodas (St. Louis), etc.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Correct, although it is a similar product.

Found this description on Wikipedia:

Vernors is a golden ginger ale with a robust flavor, more like a ginger beer, that historically was flavored and colored with caramel. This style was common before Prohibition when "dry" pale ginger ale, typified by Canada Dry, became popular as an alcoholic mixer.[10]

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I still mourn the day Sanders changed their caramel cakes. Those things were HEAVEN.

*biting tongue*

Yuengling. (sob)

Draft saved Draft deleted